More younger Brazilians now appear to be seriously ill and dying from Covid-19, doctors say, amid a national surge in daily deaths and cases that are also increasing global numbers.
Almost a dozen ICU doctors and nurses since mid-January at various Brazilian hospitals say their ICU beds are filled with more young people than ever.
“We have otherwise healthy patients who are between 30 and 50 years old, and that is the profile of most patients,” said Dr. Pedro Archer, a 33-year-old intensive care physician at a public hospital in Rio de Janeiro. . . “That is the big differentiator in this latest wave.”
“The death of a person in his 30s is very, very painful,” said Dr. Maria Dolores da Silva, a 42-year veteran of intensive care medicine in São Paulo. “They have their whole life ahead of them and Covid takes it.”
YOU ASKED. WE RESPOND.
Q. Many parents are getting vaccinated, but their children cannot yet. Can grandparents visit if children are not vaccinated?
A. Vaccinating parents is really important. It reduces your own likelihood of illness, as well as the likelihood of transmitting the coronavirus to other people, including your children, says Dr. Leana Wen. It also makes visits from other family members safer.
WHAT IS IMPORTANT TODAY
AstraZeneca reviews efficacy data
Vaccine nationalism will be the focus of the EU summit
European Union leaders will meet today for a virtual summit as they work out plans to control vaccine exports, in an ongoing dispute with the UK over the supply of doses, particularly the AstraZeneca injection.
The EU is struggling to obtain sufficient doses to implement effective inoculation programs, but other countries, including the US and the UK, have also largely reserved doses made in their countries. US President Joe Biden is expected to participate in the meeting, at the invitation of the EU.
Boris Johnson’s Latest Mistake Could Threaten Britain’s Vaccine Launch
The UK prime minister, prone to mistakes, has made frantic attempts to refute his comments that the successful launch of the vaccine in his country was “due to capitalism, greed, folks.”
India detects a new ‘double mutant’ variant
A “double mutant” variant is a strain that carries two mutations. India made the discovery when infections spiked there, raising fears of a second wave.
ON OUR RADAR
- The second wave of Covid-19 has hit Africa much harder than the first, a new analysis has shown.
- British TV host Kate Garraway opens up about her husband’s year-long ordeal with Covid-19, which has left him hospitalized since last March.
- The Covid-19 pandemic has changed our sense of mortality. “That vague inevitability that I assumed would occur in the distant future hit me over the head like an anvil in an old cartoon,” writes Allison Hope.
- Loretto Hospital’s Dr. Anosh Ahmed resigned after it was discovered that the hospital improperly distributed the Covid-19 vaccine at Trump Tower in downtown Chicago.
- Seven out of 10 people hospitalized for Covid-19 have yet to make a full recovery five months after discharge, a study finds.
If you have been eating more and gaining weight during the pandemic, you are not alone. Recent research showed that some people may have gained more than 1.5 pounds on average per month during the Covid-19 shutdowns in March and April.
“Health experts say over and over again that the problem is what you do when you get there, regardless of … the way you are traveling.” – CNN Correspondent Pete Muntean