Xiaomi showed the first images of its new Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus earlier this week, and now smart phones have been revealed in full. Redmi is the brand of Xiaomi that tries to offer solid products at extremely low prices; the new devices follow Redmi 4 and Redmi Note 4, which became the two most popular phones in India this year.
As can be seen from the images, the Redmi 5 and 5 Plus bring a very stylish 18: 9 design to the Redmi line, with rounded corners and thin bevels at the top and bottom of the screen. On the back there is a fingerprint sensor and a single camera, and the body of the phone is made of aluminum. It comes in blue, pink, gold and black.
Here is the rest of the specifications:
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 processor for Redmi 5, Snapdragon 625 for Redmi 5 Plus
- 5.7 inches 18: 9 "HD +" LCD for Redmi 5, 5.99 inches 18: 9 "Full HD +" for Redmi 5 Plus
- 2 or 3GB of RAM for Redmi 5, 3 or 4GB for Redmi 5 Plus
- 3300mAh battery for Redmi 5, 4000mAh for Redmi 5 Plus
- 16 or 32 GB storage for Redmi 5, 32GB or 64GB for Redmi 5 Plus
- Not specified camera sensor with 1.25 micron pixels
- Micro USB charging
The Redmi 5 starts at 799 yuan (about $ 120) for 2GB RAM and 16GB storage model, with 899 yuan (~ $ 135) to get 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage. The 5 Plus starts at 999 yuan (~ $ 150) for the 3GB / 32GB model, with a 4GB / 64GB variant that sells for 1299 yuan (~ $ 180).
These are definitely affordable phones by global standards, so, with the 5 Plus sounding like a particularly good value. The Snapdragon 625 is a solid processor with great energy efficiency, especially when combined with such a large battery, and a Full HD screen of 18: 9 is impressive at this price. The phones have only been announced for China so far and will be available on December 12.