Home / Others / Woman dies after contracting carnivorous oyster bacteria

Woman dies after contracting carnivorous oyster bacteria



A Texas woman died after she became infected with carnivorous bacteria after eating raw oysters.

Jeanette LeBlanc and his wife Vicki Bergquist went fishing with friends and family on the Louisiana coast in September, where they also collected a bag of raw oysters at a market, reports KLFY. The two ate about two dozen raw oysters and LeBlanc began to feel sick 36 hours later.

Bergquist told KLFY that LeBlanc started having breathing problems and developed a rash on his legs. The belief was that LeBlanc was having an allergic reaction.

LeBlanc was told he had vibrio after his condition worsened.

"It's a meat-eating bacterium, it had severe leg injuries from that bacteria," Bergquist said.

People can become infected with vibrio when eating raw or undercooked seafood or exposing open wounds to brackish water, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. LeBlanc had been involved with both.

  Not published (NR)

A Texas woman contracted a carnivorous bacterium from eating raw oysters during a trip with friends and family.

(GaryIanReich / Getty Images / iStockphoto)

Karen Bowers, a friend of the couple, told KLFY that LeBlanc fought for his life for 21 days. LeBlanc could not recover and died on October 15, 2017.

"If they really knew what could happen to them and could literally die within 48, 36 hours of eating raw oysters, is it really worth it?" Said Bowers.

Bergquist and Bowers are spreading consciousness about vibrio now after the loss of their friend.

"If we had known that the risk was so high, I think I would have stopped eating oysters," Bergquist said.

Send a letter to the editor

Join the conversation:
facebook
Tweet


Source link