Over the weekend, the United Kingdom reversed plans to ease restrictions on Christmas and announced a strict lockdown in most parts of the country, citing concerns about a version of coronovirus that is believed to be too contagious.
An alarm over the new version, first identified in the south-east of England, resulted in British travelers being cut off from Europe and other parts of the world as countries banned travel from Britain.
While the new version of the Kovid-19 has its origins in England, it has also been identified in Denmark, the Netherlands and Australia, Maria Van Kerkhov, technical head of the World Health Organization Kovid-19, said on Sunday. Researchers are investigating a similar type of virus in South Africa, which may lead to additional travel restrictions from there.
remember: There is no evidence that the new variants are any more viral, meaning that they do not cause more severe disease. They do not affect the effects of treatment or the protection given by vaccines.
Here is a list of countries that have so far banned travel from the UK:
- Russia: Russia is suspending flights from the UK for a week starting at midnight, Moscow time on 22 December, the state’s news agency RIA Novosti cited the Russian Coronovirus Response Headquarters.
- Jordan: The government has decided to start all direct and indirect (transit) passenger flights from the United Kingdom starting on Monday and lasting from January. 3. The news was announced in a statement by the Jordanian government spokesman and Minister of State for Media Affairs Ali al-Aid.
- Oman: Oman will close its air, sea and land borders starting on Tuesday, 22 December to monitor the new version of the Coronavirus reported by the United Kingdom., Oman State News Agency reports.
- Argentina: According to a joint statement published on Sunday by Argentina’s ministries of health and interior, Argentina will only allow another flight from the UK at Buenos Aires International Airport on Monday morning. The flights were later canceled.
- Belgium: Belgium will stop passengers from the United Kingdom on Sunday morning due to the coronovirus variants of Prime Minister Alexander de Crew.
- Bulgaria: Prime Minister Boyoko Borisov called a working meeting with members of his cabinet on Sunday in response to the new version, during which it was decided to temporarily suspend air travel between Bulgaria and the United Kingdom from Monday to 31 January, in their The office said.
- Canada: Canada says it will halt most passenger travel starting from Britain at least 72 hours on Sunday midnight. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed the news in a tweet Sunday night that it was being done to “protect” Canadians around the country.
- Chile: The Chilean government announced that all flights to and from the UK would begin on Tuesday, and passengers going to the UK in the last 14 days would have to self-quarantine.
- Colombia: Colombian President Ivan Dukey made a similar announcement that all flights between Colombia and the UK would begin on Monday. Passengers traveling to the UK in the last 14 days will also have to self-associate upon entering Colombia, Duke told reporters.
- Czech Republic: The government statement said on Monday that the Czech government was halting UK flights from 6 am ET Monday in response to a new version of Coronavirus in the UK.
- El Salvador: El Salvador bans anyone from Britain and South Africa from entering the country.
- Estonia: The government of Estonia on Sunday announced the postponement of air traffic between Estonia and the UK, which applies at midnight until the end of the year.
- France: French Prime Minister Jean Castex announced a 48-hour ban on movement of people from Britain and France from Sunday night and implemented all modes of transport.
- Germany: The German government said it plans to restrict travel to the UK and South Africa due to the new coronovirus variant.
- Hogcog: Hong Kong will ban all travelers who stop more than two hours in the United Kingdom in 14 days before arriving in the city starting on Tuesday, Food and Health Secretary Sophia Chan said during a press conference on Monday.
- Iran: Iran on Sunday announced suspension of flights to and from Britain for two weeks.
- Israel: Israel’s government banned flights from Britain, Denmark and South Africa.
- Italy: Italy has suspended flights between the country and the United Kingdom because of the new Kovid-19 variants identified in England, Italy’s Foreign Minister Luigi Di Mio announced on Sunday.
- Kuwait Kuwait suspended flights from the United Kingdom starting on Monday.
- Latvia: Latvia has suspended travel to the UK from 21 December to 1 January, Latvia’s Ministry of Transport announced in a statement on Sunday.
- Lithuania: Quarrels with Britain will be suspended, Teh Prime Minister tweeted.
- Luxembourg: According to a government statement, Luxembourg has temporarily suspended flights after receiving a new version of Coronovirus from Britain.
- Netherlands: The Netherlands will ban all passenger flights coming from the United Kingdom.
- Republic of Ireland: The Republic of Ireland is banning flights from the UK on Monday and Tuesday, the government announced on Sunday.
- Peru: Peruvian President Francisco Sagasti announced a two-week ban on flights arriving from Europe at a national address on Monday morning. If both have been in the United Kingdom for the last two weeks, Sagarji banned foreigners from visiting Peru.
- Sweden: Ban on travel from Britain to Sweden, the country’s foreign minister said on Sunday.
- Turkey: Turkey has banned flights from Britain, South Africa, the Netherlands and Denmark, the country-owned Anadolu agency reported late Sunday.
The following countries have not banned travel but are imposing restrictions:
- Greece: The Greek Civil Protection Department announced on Sunday that Greece would implement a 7-day quarantine for all passengers arriving from the United Kingdom, starting on Monday, over concerns about a new Kovid-19 version identified in Britain.
- Portugal: Portugal has banned flights from the UK. According to the country’s interior minister, only Portuguese citizens will be allowed to travel, and must have a negative Kovid-19 test.
- Spain Spain announced that it was strengthening the airports to verify PCR tests for people arriving from the UK, according to a tweet from the government on Sunday.
Director of the Center for Infectious Diseases Research at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Drs. Nelson Michael said that Walter Reed scientists in the US still hope that this vaccine will be effective against this new version. Walter Reed scientists said they hope to find out in the next few days whether there is any concern that coronavirus vaccines will not work against it.