The best season in the history of Auburn basketball stopped at the Final Four on Saturday night.
The Tigers, fifth seed, fell to Virginia, the top seed, 63-62, after a controversial foul to Samir Doughty in the last second. Stadium of the bank. It was a heartbreaking way to lose, since Auburn thought he had a place in Monday's national championship game, almost badured.
Instead, the Tigers season is over, his magical career through the NCAA Tournament is falling short. Here's a look at what is being said nationally and in Virginia about Auburn's heartbreaking second-last defeat to Virginia:
– The lack of game that will always eclipse the game Final Four of Virginia-Auburn (ESPN)
– Controversy? Yes. But Kyle Guy still had to hit three free throws (ESPN)
– Auburn players struggle to understand the crucial call at the end of the game that led to the loss to Virginia (CBS Sports)
– Guy "my own space" and pushes Virginia to pbad Auburn (CBS Sports)
– The indescribable pain behind the imperturbable balance of Samir Doughty (The Athletic)
– Destiny? Destination? A miracle? Calling is what you want, but Virginia is in the game for the title (The Athletic)
– Ty Jerome's father rejoices with the miraculous victory of Virginia (The Athletic)
– The victory of the Final Four of Virginia was successful (USA Today)
– Kyle Guy was "terrified" by the free throws that won the game against Auburn (USA Today)
– Virginia's controversial victory buries painful memories (Bleacher Report)
– The last and most controversial Virginia escape (Yahoo Sports)
– The lost call with double dribble is expensive for Auburn (Yahoo Sports)
– A shot, a whistle and a first final for Virginia (New York Times).
– The messy finish could set a perfect ending for Virginia (The Washington Post)
– Virginia had the right guy for the job at the end (The Star Tribune)
– Virginia's Final Four "Oh, my" is Final Four of Auburn "Oh, # & @ *!" (Pioneer Press)
– Virginia is answering the question, what happens when you accumulate all your luck for 30 years? (Richmond Times-Dispatch)
– De'Andre Hunter gave Virginia a great book in the second half (Charlottesville Daily Progress)
– Virginia Keeps Auburn Shooters at bay (Charlottesville Daily Progress)
– Kyle Guy adds an exciting chapter to his story of redemption (Charlottesville's Daily Progress)
Tom Green is an Auburn Beat reporter for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde