Watford vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers – Report of soccer matches – April 7, 2019

Watford vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers – Report of soccer matches – April 7, 2019

Watford vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers – Report of soccer matches – April 7, 2019

Two goals from substitute Gerard Deulofeu helped Watford score a dramatic 2-0 comeback to beat the Wolves 3-2 and set up a match in the FA Cup final with Manchester City.

The strikes of Matt Doherty before the break and Raúl Jiménez after having appeared enough to make the team of Nuno Espirito Santo the first team of the Wolves to reach an FA Cup final since 1960.

But Deulofeu retired one with a brilliant chip 11 minutes before the end, at the time of injury, Leander Dendoncker fouled Troy Deeney and, after a VAR check, Deeney broke the penalty kick to force overtime.

Deulofeu produced the decisive moment in the first additional period, achieving an angled finish to put Watford in his first FA Cup final since 1984.

The wolves had almost had a spectacular start in the game, Jonny's strike vanished, but Watford returned to win a corner that was treated with confidence by goalkeeper John Ruddy.

A lack of Mariappa in Diogo Jota gave Wolves a free kick that Joao Moutinho led over the wall and only partially over the bar.

Etienne Capoue had a blocked shot for Watford before Romain Saiss of the Wolves was booked for a noisy 10-minute challenge by Roberto Pereyra.

In the half hour, Watford produced his best moment so far, Deeney dropped deeper to float on a cross for Andre Gray, who could only deflect the ball.

Behind came the Wolves, and Watford goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes made a good save from Dendoncker's deviated shot, but from the corner ahead, Jonny crossed to Doherty to head in.

Watford could have conceded a second soon after, when Jota undertook a dangerous run, cut the inside and doubled his shot narrowly.

But the Hornets recovered to create another opportunity at halftime, Conor Coady made a brilliant block to frustrate Gray after Deeney had fired.

Gomes made a good save from Jimenez's fierce shot in the first moments of the second half, and then Jota, who extended at the far post, could not keep his attempt down.

Watford defender Craig Cathcart entered the book for committing a foul against Jota at the edge of the box, and Ruben Neves's free kick was almost off target with Gomes stranded.

As the time with Watford approached to gather an effort on target, Deeney went to the field and Jose Holebas was booked for committing a foul on Jota while leading a break from the Wolves.

But the Wolves could not be denied, doubling their lead after 62 minutes when Jiminez threw a cross and acrobatic shot, the goal was confirmed after a VAR check for the offside.

Watford introduced Deulofeu to Will Hughes and, suddenly, he returned to the game with 11 minutes remaining before the substitute took possession, turned around and threw a beautiful final over Ruddy to the top corner.

When Watford increased the pressure, Wolves brought the defender. Ryan Bennett for Neves and then Ivan Cavaleiro for Jota, Holebas hitting the Hornets when time began to run.

But with a few seconds to go, Dendoncker fouled Deeney to give Watford his lifeline and the attacker's composure from the point took the game to overtime.

Jonny's shot was saved by Gomes when the additional half hour began, and Watford was forced to change when Holebas was replaced by Adam Masina.

The wolves brought Adama Traore to Moutinho but, with 105 minutes played, they were left behind when Deulofeu joined Deeney and Gray before pbading an angled finish past Ruddy.

Daryl Janmaat replaced Kiko Femenia, and then Deulofeu hurt his ankle and had to be replaced by Ken Sema, but he had already written the Watford headlines.

Source link