Vanessa Bryant says that Evan Rachel Wood calling her late husband Kobe Bryant a “rapist” on the day of his death is “vile” and “disturbing.”
Hours after Kobe’s death on January 26, 2020, the 33-year-old “Westworld” actress tweeted: “What has happened is tragic. I am heartbroken for Kobe’s family. He was a sports hero. He was also a rapist. And all these truths can exist simultaneously. ”
Vanessa, 38, posted on her Instagram story on Saturday that the tweet had just caught her attention more than a year later.
“Your bogus, insensitive, defamatory and slanderous tweet on 1/26/20 is vile and disturbing to say the least,” the NBA player’s widow wrote over a screenshot of the original tweet. “Behavior like this is part of the reason innocent black men go to jail for crimes they didn’t commit. An accusation does not make anyone guilty. ”
“YOU DO NOT KNOW THE FACTS OF THE CASE,” he added. Vanessa sent the same message to film producer Abigail Disney, who tweeted at the time: “The man was a rapist. Deal with him. ”
Kobe was charged with sexual assault in 2003 by a 19-year-old hotel employee in Colorado. Prosecutors dropped the charges after the accuser refused to testify. He later filed a civil case against the Los Angeles Laker, which was settled out of court in 2005.
Wood’s tweet sparked an immediate backlash in 2020, and fans came to Kobe’s defense. Actress Kyla Pratt responded that she admired Wood’s work, but “this tweet? How the hell do you dare? “
Vanessa posted and thanked Pratt for her response to Wood on Saturday.
A representative for Wood did not immediately respond to our request for comment.
Earlier this month, Wood named his alleged abuser as his ex-fiancée Marilyn Manson.
“He started grooming me when I was a teenager and abused me horribly for years,” she said. “They brainwashed me and manipulated me into submitting. I am done living in fear of retaliation, slander or blackmail. I’m here to expose this dangerous man and call out the many industries that have allowed him, before he ruins more lives. I am with the many victims who will no longer be silent ”.
Following several accusations from Wood and other women, Manson, who has vehemently denied all allegations, was removed by his record label and longtime manager.
“Obviously my art and life have long been magnets for controversy, but these recent claims about me are horrible distortions of reality,” Manson, 52, wrote in a statement. “My intimate relationships have always been consensual with like-minded partners. Regardless of how, and why, others now choose to misrepresent the past, that’s the truth. “