Patrick Semanski | Pool | Reuters
WASHINGTON – Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned on Sunday that the United States would slap sanctions on any person or institution recognizing Iran’s weapons program, a move that would likely escalate tensions between Washington and Tehran.
Pompeo said in a statement on Sunday, “For the past 10 years, countries have avoided selling weapons to Iran under various UN measures. Any country that now challenges this prohibition is clearly fuel. Conflict and tension can pick up. ” .
“Any country that sells arms to Iran is pushing the Iranian people away from diversion of the regime’s wealth and leading to the military’s objectives of governance,” he said.
The threat has officially ended on Sunday after a decade-long UN weapon against Iran, as part of the nuclear deal agreed with world powers in 2015.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry declared that “the Islamic Republic of Iran can purchase any necessary weapons and equipment from any source without any legal restrictions and solely on the basis of its defensive needs.” However, Tehran said it had no intention of going on a conventional arms procurement race.
Under United Nations arms, the export of “certain conventional weapons to Iran” and “the purchase of any related material from Iran” is a violation of the UN Security Council resolution and subject to sanctions.
However, the UN Security Council in August refused to support the US effort to increase the arms race against Iran. China and Russia voted against Washington’s efforts, while also shutting down American allies such as Britain, France and Germany. Only the US and the Dominican Republic voted for the expansion.
In response, the United States last month reimposed UN sanctions on Tehran through a snapback process that other members of the UN Security Council previously said Washington does not have the authority to execute as it 2018 I withdrew from the nuclear deal.
The same week the Trump administration participated even more when the US re-enforced UN sanctions. Pompeo, lambasted by Secretary of Defense Mark Osho, Treasury Secretary Steven Menuchin, and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, said the administration would approve the entire Ministry of Defense of Iran.
“No matter who you are, if you violate the UN’s weapons on Iran, you risk sanctions,” Pompeo said in an address on September 21, “Our actions today are a warning that Should be heard around the world, ”he said.
After Pompeo’s remarks, Andrew said that the Pentagon is “ready to respond to future Iranian aggression” and called on Tehran “to act like a normal country”.
“We continued to stand shoulder to shoulder with our allies and allies to counter the volatile behavior of Iran. In doing so, we will protect our people and our interests and protect the security of like-minded countries throughout the region Will keep. “
Tensions have escalated between Washington and Tehran following President Donald Trump’s withdrawal from the historic Iran nuclear deal in 2018, calling it “the worst deal ever”.
The 2015 agreement lifted sanctions on Iran that crippled its economy and nearly halved its oil exports. In exchange for sanctions relief, Iran accepted the limits of its nuclear program until its end in 2025.
Trump has previously stated that the US wants to reach a comprehensive agreement with Iran that imposes tight limits on its nuclear and ballistic missile operations and suppresses the regime’s role in regional proxy wars. Tehran has refused to negotiate while US sanctions remain unchanged.
After Washington’s exit from the nuclear deal, other signatories of the agreement — Germany, France, Germany, Britain, Russia and China — tried to keep the agreement alive.
Earlier this year, a US strike that killed Iran’s top military commander triggered the regime to pursue compliance with the international nuclear treaty. In January, Iran said it would no longer limit its uranium enrichment capacity or nuclear research.