Update: TSX rejects 80 points due to the fall of crude oil; US markets are also weaker



Canada's main stock market weakened on Friday as crude registered a new 13-month low and lost 11% on the week. The S & P / TSX Composite Index fell 80 points or 0.5% to close at 15,010. For the week, the TSX fell 145 points or almost 1%.

Wall Street experienced similar declines today as US operations resumed during a half-day session after the holiday closure on Thursday. The three main US indices UU They fell around 4% during the week, with the Dow Jones and the Nasdaq posting their highest percentage of weekly declines since March.

Energy was the main negative factor in the TSX on Friday, as crude oil fell almost 8% to settle at 50.42 dollars per barrel. Materials were also weaker as gold and silver prices decreased, along with copper. The finances registered a modest gain while the consumer and health sectors were also located in positive territory.

In the securities news, Bombardier (BBD-B.TO), strongly traded, lost 2%, while Baytex Energy (BTE.TO) lost almost 3% and Crescent Point Energy (CPG.TO) fell by 6% . Cannabis stocks registered little change, including Aurora Cannabis (ACB.TO), with 0.2% and Canopy Growth (WEED.TO), which rose 0.2%.

In economic news, retail sales increased 0.2% in September after a revised flat reading (0.0%) in August (it was -0.1%). The aggregate of ex-autos rose 0.1% in September after a loss of 0.4%. Total retail sales volumes improved 0.5% in September, which was good news for September's GDP outlook.

Meanwhile, the IPC jumped 0.3% m / m in October after falling 0.4% in September. The CPI grew at a rate of 2.4% y / y in October compared to the 2.2% pace in September. The CPI grew at a much faster pace than expected in m / m and y / and in October. An increase of 0.3% m / m in air fares, pbadenger vehicles and travel routes saw the highest gain of all components, and was a key source of upward risk for the projection of the CPI. But the basic measures remained close to 2%, close to the expectations of the Bank of Canada.

The Canadian dollar lost about a quarter of a cent to $ 75.54.

The views and opinions expressed here are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

Copyright (C) 2016 MTNewswires.com. All rights reserved. Reproduction without authorization is strictly prohibited.


Source link

Check Also

Activision Blizzard, TripAdvisor, Akamai Technologies, CBS, Wyndham Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Worldwide Holdings

These are some of the companies with shares that are expected to be actively traded …