Posted by Dan Whisenhunt
November 27, 2018
<! – ->
<! – 976 views
This story has been updated.
All Decatur schools, including Decatur High and Renfroe Middle School, are closed this morning, November 27, after a "threatening call" was received.
An employee who answered the phone at the Decatur Police Department said the closing was a precaution, "to make sure everyone is safe."
A spokesman for the Police Department said: "On Tuesday, November 27, 2018, the Decatur Police Department received reports of a bomb threat against one school and threats of gun violence against two other schools. Working with City Schools of Decatur, a shutdown of the entire system of all schools was initiated as a precaution. The DeKalb County Police and the DeKalb County Sheriff's Office responded to help. The schools are still closed while we investigate these threats. There have been officers at each school since they informed us about the threats. We have not found evidence to justify these threats at this time. The officers will remain assigned to each of the schools for the rest of the day. We will provide an update after the blockade is lifted. "
Decatur police officers and DeKalb County Sheriff's deputies have been seen in the area. Decaturish contributor Cathi Harris said officers had been searching at Glennwood Elementary and that students there were briefly evacuated to Holy Trinity Parish Episcopal School.
The Glennwood students had been authorized to return to class, Harris reported.
Harris said the sheriff has blocked East Ponce de Leon Avenue on Commerce Drive.
City Schools of Decatur officials were not immediately available for comment, but they did send the following message to parents:
The safety of your child is our top priority. Due to the large number of precautions after receiving threats in some schools, the CSD has initiated a system-wide crash.
We are actively working with the police department to investigate this situation. Students can not be removed until the blockade is lifted. Please do not go to schools because this will interfere with school safety procedures. The Decatur Police Department has sent officers to all schools.
We will continue to send updates.
The students and teachers of Decatur High and Renfroe Middle have been sending text messages to family members to notify them of the blockade.
One parent said that he received the following text messages from his student, who attends Decatur High.
From my DHS jr:
10: 48 – We are in a hard blockade for some reason
(I asked if he was in a classroom)
10: 55 – yes. And we are behind these laboratory banks. I'm not near the door. They said it was something outside the building.
11: 09 – We are now in a soft lock down. So we can go up and start the class but we can not leave the class
The Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that schools in Dunwoody have also received threats recently.
"None of those threats was considered credible," the AJC reported.
This is a story in development. Come back for updates.