The unhealthy blood between Cody Garbrandt and T.J. Dillashaw lastly obtained an opportunity to boil over Saturday night time, and an ex-champ obtained his title again.
Dillashaw (15-Three MMA, 11-Three UFC) surprised Garbrandt (11-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) with a head kick, then moments later planted him once more with a proper hand earlier than ending him with a collection of punches on the bottom. The finish got here on the 2:41 mark of the second spherical – and got here after Dillashaw was saved by the bell within the first spherical when Garbrandt practically had him completed.
The bantamweight title bout was the co-main occasion of right this moment’s UFC 217 occasion at Madison Square Garden in New York. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pbad.
UFC 217 play-by-play and dwell outcomes
Dillashaw and Garbrandt had change into heated rivals within the lead-up to the extremely anticipated title battle. They have been teammates on the famed Team Alpha Male camp in Sacramento, Calif., earlier than Dillashaw left the camp with former coach Duane Ludwig.
The two coached reverse one another earlier this yr on “The Ultimate Fighter,” the place their unhealthy blood regularly was on show. But Dillashaw had the final phrase – for now – on Saturday.
Garbrandt went to the middle and Dillashaw switched stances, like regular. Garbrandt threw a proper kick. Dillashaw answered with a knee to the physique, then tried a spinning kick. Dillashaw labored an inside leg kick, then danced away from a Garbrandt proper. Garbrandt threw a tough proper kick that was off the mark.
Midway by means of the spherical, Garbrandt put collectively a mix that just about took Dillashaw off his ft. Dillashaw tried to get inside, however was met with a left hook. Garbrandt obtained a proper jab to land late within the spherical, however simply earlier than the horn Garbrandt landed an enormous proper hand that put Dillashaw on the canvas. Garbrandt moved in and practically obtained the end, however Dillashaw was saved by the bell and wobbled again to his stool.
Dillashaw simply missed a kick early within the second, and Garbrandt danced round him. Dillashaw tried a Superman punch after a low kick, however it was off the mark. Ninety seconds into the spherical, although, Dillashaw landed a head kick that planted Garbrandt on the canvas. He popped again up, however Dillashaw landed a punch. Garbrandt recovered and the 2 went again to work within the center.
But it didn’t take lengthy for Dillashaw to show issues in his favor the remainder of the best way. In an trade in shut, Dillashaw landed a giant proper hook that put Garbrandt on the canvas. Dillashaw was on high of him in a rush and pounced away till referee Dan Miragliotta stepped in to close it down.
Dillashaw gained for the third straight time and seventh time in eight fights. Garbrandt misplaced for the primary time in his skilled profession.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 217 outcomes embrace:
- T.J. Dillashaw def. Cody Garbrandt by way of knockout (punches) – Round 2, 2:41
- Rose Namajunas def. Joanna Jedrzejczyk by way of knockout (strikes) – Round 1, Three:03
- Stephen Thompson def. Jorge Masvidal by way of unanimous resolution (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Paulo Costa def. Johny Hendricks by way of TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:23
- James Vick def. Joseph Duffy by way of TKO (punches) – Round 2, four:59
- Mark Godbeer def. Walt Harris by way of disqualification (unlawful kick) – Round 1, four:29
- Ovince Saint Preux def. Corey Anderson by way of knockout (head kick) – Round Three, 1:25
- Randy Brown def. Mickey Gall by way of unanimous resolution (29-28, 29-28, 29-27)
- Curtis Blaydes def. Aleksei Oleinik by way of TKO (physician’s stoppage) – Round 2, 1:56
- Ricardo Ramos def. Aiemann Zahabi by way of knockout (spinning again elbow) – Round Three, 1:58
For full protection of UFC 217, try the UFC Events part of the location.
(MMAjunkie’s John Morgan, Mike Bohn, Ken Hathaway and Abbey Subhan contributed to this report on website in New York.)