There’s a brand new strawweight queen of the heap, and she or he was the most important underdog on Saturday’s card.
Rose Namajunas (7-Three MMA, 5-2 UFC) shut down Joanna Jedrzejczyk (14-1 MMA, Eight-1 UFC) within the first spherical with a knockout stemming from a large left hook. Jedrzejczyk closed as a favourite of greater than Eight-1. The struggle was referred to as a knockout, however the champion tapped as a result of onslaught of punches Namajunas was raining down on her on the Three:03 mark of the primary spherical.
The loss was the primary of Jedrzejczyk’s skilled profession. The buildup to the struggle featured a lot dangerous blood between the 2, together with Jedrzejczyk taking goal at Namajunas’ psychological state. But in the long run, Namajunas walked proper by means of all of it.
The ladies’s strawweight title bout was a part of the principle card of right this moment’s UFC 217 occasion at Madison Square Garden in New York. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pbad.
UFC 217 play-by-play and stay outcomes
Namajunas pumped out a combo early, then a leg kick. Jedrzejczyk threw a proper, however a minute in she ate a counter proper hand from Namajunas. Ninety seconds in, Jedrzejczyk landed a combo, then simply missed a excessive kick.
Then two minutes in, Namajunas tagged Jedrzejczyk and dropped her to the canas with a giant proper hand. She adopted her to the canvas and practically took her again. But she let the champion again to her toes, and there Jedrzejczyk landed a punch to start out the restoration.
Seconds later, although, Namajunas drilled Jedrzejczyk once more with a left. She hit the canvas. Namajunas was throughout her and dropped bombs again and again. Jedrzejczyk turtled up and referee John McCarthy shut issues down – however it wasn’t as a result of he stopped the struggle. It was as a result of Jedrzejczyk tapped from the strikes.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 217 outcomes embrace:
- Rose Namajunas def. Joanna Jedrzejczyk through knockout (strikes) – Round 1, Three:03
- Stephen Thompson def. Jorge Masvidal through unanimous determination (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Paulo Costa def. Johny Hendricks through TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:23
- James Vick def. Joseph Duffy through TKO (punches) – Round 2, four:59
- Mark Godbeer def. Walt Harris through disqualification (unlawful kick) – Round 1, four:29
- Ovince Saint Preux def. Corey Anderson through knockout (head kick) – Round Three, 1:25
- Randy Brown def. Mickey Gall through unanimous determination (29-28, 29-28, 29-27)
- Curtis Blaydes def. Aleksei Oleinik through TKO (physician’s stoppage) – Round 2, 1:56
- Ricardo Ramos def. Aiemann Zahabi through knockout (spinning again elbow) – Round Three, 1:58
For full protection of UFC 217, try the UFC Events part of the positioning.
(MMAjunkie’s John Morgan, Mike Bohn, Ken Hathaway and Abbey Subhan contributed to this report on web site in New York.)