After 4 years away, Georges St-Pierre made UFC historical past on Saturday evening.
St-Pierre (26-2 MMA, 20-2 UFC), who left the game as a long-reigning welterweight champion, returned to the UFC and choked out middleweight champion Michael Bisping (30-Eight MMA, 20-Eight UFC) to change into the brand new 185-pound titleholder and simply the fourth two-division champion within the promotion’s historical past.
The middleweight title bout was the primary occasion of at the moment’s UFC 217 occasion at Madison Square Garden in New York. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pbad.
UFC 217 play-by-play and reside outcomes
St-Pierre went to the middle and faked a kick whereas Bisping circled on the surface. Bisping tried to pepper a jab, however St-Pierre landed a proper hand excessive. He tried a spinning kick shortly after that. St-Pierre missed on a proper hand that had unhealthy intentions. Bisping landed a left, however Bisping hit a stable jab seconds later. With two minutes left, St-Pierre clipped Bisping with a proper hand, however couldn’t drop him.
A spinning kick whiffed for St-Pierre with 90 seconds left, and with a minute left St-Pierre dropped down for a takedown and secured it. It didn’t take lengthy for Bisping to get again to his toes, however St-Pierre landed a proper and a glancing kick earlier than the horn. If anybody questioned how St-Pierre would reply after 4 years off, they obtained their reply.
St-Pierre tried a facet kick early within the second, then tried it once more 90 seconds into the body. A proper hand clipped Bisping not lengthy after that. But Bisping’s greatest punch of the battle got here somewhat greater than two minutes into the spherical when he popped St-Pierre’s head again with a proper. With two minutes left, St-Pierre obtained Bisping down within the middle of the octagon and obtained to half-guard.
But with out taking any harm, Bisping was proper again to his toes and landed an enormous proper hand. Bisping almost took St-Pierre off his toes with a punch and slip, and St-Pierre appeared to be a lot slower deep within the second than he was at first of the spherical. Bisping glanced a excessive kick off St-Pierre’s head, then one other not lengthy earlier than the spherical ended.
Fifteen seconds into the third, St-Pierre took Bisping down for the third time. But Bisping landed elbows from the underside and reduce St-Pierre open. Bisping wrapped St-Pierre up in guard and performed protection from his again. St-Pierre obtained an elbow by way of. Just previous the three-minute mark, Bisping obtained again to his toes. St-Pierre was a bloody mess from Bisping’s elbows. Bisping landed a proper hand, however St-Pierre landed seconds later.
But an ideal left hook landed for St-Pierre and put Bisping on the canvas. St-Pierre dropped down and began hammering away with punches. John McCarthy gave the champ loads of time to defend and work his manner out. But St-Pierre let Bisping get out – solely to take his again and rapidly sink in a rear-naked choke.
Bisping refused to faucet and went out chilly, and St-Pierre was the newest two-division champion in UFC historical past.
“I knew he had a problem with the shot coming from the right,” St-Pierre stated afterward. “That’s what we did most of the fight. (The submission) was a trick. I think the best thing in fighting is to set up a trap.”
Up-to-the-minute UFC 217 outcomes embrace:
- Georges St-Pierre def. Michael Bisping through technical submission (rear-naked choke) – Round three, four:23
- T.J. Dillashaw def. Cody Garbrandt through knockout (punches) – Round 2, 2:41
- Rose Namajunas def. Joanna Jedrzejczyk through knockout (strikes) – Round 1, three:03
- Stephen Thompson def. Jorge Masvidal through unanimous choice (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Paulo Costa def. Johny Hendricks through TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:23
- James Vick def. Joseph Duffy through TKO (punches) – Round 2, four:59
- Mark Godbeer def. Walt Harris through disqualification (unlawful kick) – Round 1, four:29
- Ovince Saint Preux def. Corey Anderson through knockout (head kick) – Round three, 1:25
- Randy Brown def. Mickey Gall through unanimous choice (29-28, 29-28, 29-27)
- Curtis Blaydes def. Aleksei Oleinik through TKO (physician’s stoppage) – Round 2, 1:56
- Ricardo Ramos def. Aiemann Zahabi through knockout (spinning again elbow) – Round three, 1:58
For full protection of UFC 217, try the UFC Events part of the location.
(MMAjunkie’s John Morgan, Mike Bohn, Ken Hathaway and Abbey Subhan contributed to this report on web site in New York.)