Two dead and two injured in stabbings in the New York subway

Two people were killed and two others injured after multiple stabbing incidents at subway stations in New York City.

New York Police Commissioner Dermot Shea said in a Press conference on Saturday afternoon there were four separate incidents of people being “cut with a sharp object” on the line A subway system.

Shea said an additional 500 officers will be deployed throughout New York City to patrol the subway system.

“The bottom line that the public should know is that they can expect to see a large number of uniformed officers deployed throughout New York City, whether they are boarding a train or hopping onto a platform,” Shea said. “They will be there for as long as it takes to make sure people feel safe.”

Kathleen O’Reilly, the chief of traffic for the NYPD, said the first attack took place at 11:20 a.m. on Friday, when a 67-year-old man was stabbed by a stranger at the 181st Street station. He was later treated at a local hospital.

Twelve hours later, at 11:29 p.m. Friday, another adult man was pronounced dead on the A train at the Mott Avenue-Far Rockaway station. He suffered stab wounds to the neck and torso, O’Reilly said.

At around 1:15 am Saturday morning, an unconscious 44-year-old woman was found inside a train at the Inwood 207th Street station with “multiple stab wounds.” O’Reilly said she was taken to an area hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

About 20 minutes later, at 1:28 a.m. Saturday, police responded to a call at 659 W. 181st St, where they found that a 43-year-old man was stabbed at the 181st St. O’Reilly station said he was treated at an area hospital and is in stable condition.

O’Reilly said three of the incidents “appear to be related,” adding that the Bureau of Detectives is “investigating the possibility that all four were committed by a single person.”

Deputy Chief Brian McGee, who runs the Manhattan North Detective Bureau, said the incidents appear to have been unprovoked and that all of the victims were homeless.

McGee said the police department “doesn’t have much at all” on the perpetrator at this time.


Source link