Support groups urged the United States on Monday to stop providing military support to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates in Yemen, where a civil war has put 14 million people at risk of famine, according to reports. The hill.
The leaders of the International Rescue Committee, Oxfam America, CARE US, Save the Children USA and the Norwegian Refugee Council, USA. UU., They signed the joint statement. The humanitarian crisis in Yemen "is entirely man-made," the groups wrote, and humanitarian aid from the United States has not done enough to compensate for "military support and diplomatic coverage" for Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. , as nations provide weapons in an effort. To dismantle the Houthi forces in Yemen. The United States has supported the coalition, which has been accused of committing war crimes against civilians.
If military support in the region does not end, the groups wrote, the US. UU "They will assume responsibility" for the deaths of civilians. Although the United States announced earlier this month that it would no longer provide refueling for Saudi planes carrying out air strikes in Yemen and called for a ceasefire, aid groups said more proactive and drastic steps are needed among all the parties to help the Yemenis to live the winter. "
"It hurts us to write these words, but we can not escape from the truth," the statement says. "If its military support to the Saudi / UAE coalition does not cease, the United States will also be responsible for what could be the biggest famine in decades." Read the full statement at Oxfam America. Summer Meza