Three major decisions are forthcoming in police violence in Lewisville, Kenosha and Rochester



When is “soon,” though? He is unclear.

Bretton Taylor’s fatal police shooting, Daniel Prud’s suffocating death in police custody, and Jacob Blake’s non-fatal police shooting are under investigation by the state’s Attorney General. Here’s where those cases stand.

On March 13, a 26-year-old EMT shot Taylor after Louisville Metro police officers issued a “no-knock” warrant in a drug investigation, after which he broke the door to her apartment.
Police believe Taylor was actually at home with her boyfriend, who was legally armed, according to a CNN review during the shooting. That misscall, along with the decision to press forward with a high-risk, forced-entry raid under suspicious circumstances, contributed to the fatal outcome.
Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron, the first black man to hold the post and a Republican rising star, was made a special prosecutor in the case earlier this year.
Bryon Taylor had a big plan before he knocked on his door in a fatal police raid
His first meeting with Taylor’s family was on August 12, more than a hundred and a half days had passed since he was killed. The meeting included Taylor’s mother, Tamika Palmer, sister, aunt, family lawyer, and a local activist.
None of the three officers involved in the flawed raids have been charged with the crime. One officer, Brett Hankinson, was fired in late June for firing 10 rounds at his apartment for “wanton and blind”, then-Interim Louisville Police Chief Robert Schroeder wrote.
A grand jury has been formed to investigate the shooting, two people close to the process told CNN. A source of the investigation told CNN on Wednesday, “In this week the grand jury,” will be hearing other criminal cases to first get their feet wet with the procedure and then hear the Taylor case. “

Cameron is expected to announce a charging decision soon, though he declined to provide a specific timeline on Wednesday.

“My office is constantly asked about a timeline regarding the investigation into Ms. Bryon Taylor’s death. An investigation, if properly done, cannot follow a specific timeline.” Cameron tweeted.

Daniel prud

In Rochester, New York, the state’s attorney general is tasked with investigating the death of Daniel Prude in police custody.

Back in March, Prude, a 41-year-old black man, was naked and handcuffed by police in the midst of a mental health emergency. The video provided by lawyers for Prude’s family shows that officers put a cover over her head to stop her from spitting and then dropped her to the ground in a prone position.

Prude stopped breathing and was declared brain-dead at a hospital, where he died on 30 March. The Monroe County Medical Examiner described the death as a murder, citing complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint. The report also cited agitated babble and acute PCP intoxication as causes of death.

7 Rochester police officers suspended over Daniel Prud's death, says mayor
Although Prude died in March, local authorities took immediate action after the release of the police bodymade video last week. Mayor Lovely Warren suspended seven Rochester police officers involved in the arrests last week.

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced on Saturday that he was setting up a grand jury to investigate his death.

James said in a statement, “The Prude family and the Rochester community have gone through a lot of pain and suffering. My office will immediately constitute a grand jury as part of our detailed investigation into the case.”

The revelation has also led to protests and allegations that officers may be part of a cover-up. On Tuesday, the mayor said Rochester Police Chief L’On Singletary and his command staff submitted paperwork to retire.

“As a person of integrity, I will not sit outside while people outside try to destroy my character,” the chief said in a statement. “The events of the past week are an attempt to destroy my character and integrity.”

Jacob Blake

The Kenosha police shooting of Jacob Blake, who survived, but is partially paralyzed, is being investigated by both state and federal authorities.

Blake, 29, was shot seven times on August 23 by Kenosha Police Officer Ruston Shesky, according to the Wisconsin Department of Justice Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI), which led the investigation.

Blake admitted to officers that he had a knife in his possession, DCI said. Investigators later recovered a knife from the driver’s side floorboard of Blake’s vehicle, the agency said. The agency did not indicate whether Blake used the knife.

Jacob Blake's sister says she is not sad.  She is angry and she wants change
The DCI investigation is assisted by the FBI, Wisconsin State Patrol and Kenosha County Sheriff’s Office. The US Department of Justice is also conducting a federal civil rights investigation into the shooting.
In a statement, DCI said it is reviewing the evidence and will turn over investigative reports to the prosecutor after a “thorough and thorough” investigation. DCI said that its objective is to provide that report within 30 days, which will be on 22 September. At that time, the prosecutor will review the report and determine if the allegations are justified.

Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul, a Democrat, gave no time in comments to CNN on Friday.

“We continue to move quickly with this investigation,” he said. “But we are only going to the extent that it is consistent with ensuring that the facts are fully audited through our investigation.”

Blake is charged with three felony charges related to an incident in May, including felony, third-degree sexual assault. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

CNN’s Ray Sanchez, Christina Carrega and Devan Cole contributed to this report.

.

Leave a Reply