According to US defense officials, it would take years to implement President Donald Trump’s decision to pull thousands of troops and potentially cost billions of dollars.
Plans to pull US troops from a long-time NATO ally have been met with widespread bipartisan opposition, with concerns that it would undermine the US military’s position as Russia a viz, although the Trump administration decided to move forward with the move Have done
A mixture of approximately 11,900 US Army, Army and Air Force units will be removed from Germany to meet Trump’s mandatory cap of 25,000 US forces, according to a senior US defense official, compared to a figure of 9,500 is more. When the shortage was first announced.
Officials said the discrepancy was due to the fact that after a review it was found that about 36,000 were permanently assigned to Germany, about 36,000 more than originally planned.
Of the troops leaving Germany, 5,400 are “living in Europe” but the authorities will not identify the exact locations they are saying that only they will live in countries that are already hostage to US troops in some capacity Most of them include NATO European members.
The remaining 6,400 forces and their families will be returned to the US and Europe will be rescheduled on a rotational basis, remaining on a continent basis.
Defense officials said it would cost billions of dollars as new military construction would be needed to house additional troops in both Europe and America.
The defense official confirmed that the repositioning would take “years of planning and execution,” first reported earlier this month by Sen. Jim Inhofe, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee.
The timeline suggests that the plan could be reversed because Trump should lose the election in November.
Defense officials say the German Defense Minister, Anegret Kramp-Karrnbauer, and NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg were briefed about the planned drawdown as well as key members of Congress.
Defense officials said that Secretary of Defense Mark Osho directed that seek retaliation against Russia for increasing detention, strengthening NATO and supporting the families of members of the US service.
However, Trump, who directed the move, said he did so to meet NATO’s goal of spending 2% of GDP on defense due to Berlin’s failure, spending only 1.38%.
“One of the only countries that have not agreed to pay, they are ready to pay (on NATO) is Germany. So, I said we are taking out our troops until they pay, The number of our troops, about half. Then when we get down to about 25,000, we’ll see where we’re going, “Trump said last month.
Defense officials, however, said on Wednesday that the decision to house American troops leaving Germany was not affected by whether the new host countries were meeting the two percent target.
Although Germany’s national leadership has remained largely silent on the military’s cuts, local leaders have represented states where US troops have recently been written to members of the US Congress, helping them overturn the verdict. Are asking for
“We request this intensive partnership to continue in its locations in Europe and Germany and to continue the US forces,” the leaders of the German states of Baden-Württemberg, Rhineland-Palatinate, Hesse and Bavaria written.
The letter states, therefore, we ask you to support us as we strive not to strengthen the bonds of friendship but to strengthen it and to secure a US presence in Germany and Europe in the future.