The United States began communicating with North Korea last month, a senior Biden administration official confirmed to The Hill.
“To reduce the risks of escalation, we communicated with the North Korean government through various channels beginning in mid-February, including in New York,” the official said. “To date, we have not received any response from Pyongyang.”
The official said that despite multiple attempts by the United States to engage with Pyongyang, there has been no active dialogue for more than a year.
Reuters first reported on the scope on Saturday.
The development comes as the new administration is conducting a policy review regarding North Korea.
The administration official told The Hill that the interagency review includes “an assessment of all available options to address the growing threat North Korea poses to its neighbors and the international community at large.”
The official also said the administration has consulted with many former officials involved in North Korean politics, including several from the Trump administration. It has also solicited input from its allies in Japan and South Korea.
Biden notably named North Korean leader Kim jong unKim Jong UnUS began communicating with North Korea last month: reports that the United States and South Korea are reducing military drills Russian diplomats leave North Korea in a handcart due to coronavirus restrictions MORE a “bully”, and said during a presidential debate in October that he would meet with Kim if he “agreed that he would reduce his nuclear capacity.”
Previous President TrumpDonald Trump Pompeo: Re-entering Iran Deal Would Make Middle East DNC ’Less Safe’ Prepares For Midterm Momentum, Biden Struggles To Unravel The Web Of Trump’s Immigration Rules held two formal summits with Kim. The first ended with Trump and Kim signing a joint statement in which North Korea pledged to “work toward the complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.” But the second ended without a denuclearization agreement.
CBS News reported in early February that the UN Security Council found that despite international sanctions, North Korea continued its nuclear development program until 2020.
The Associated Press noted that the Security Council also found that North Korea had stolen about $ 316.4 million since 2019 through cyberattacks to fund the development of nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.
–Updated March 14 at 11:47 am