The suspect in the disappearance of Vanessa Guillén commits suicide

(CNN) – A day after human remains were found during the search for the missing soldier Vanessa Guillen in Texas, one suspect was arrested in connection with his disappearance and another suspect committed suicide, army investigators said.

Vanessa Guillén. (Family photo via Fort Hood Military Police)

The suspect who died by suicide was a minor soldier who had fled Fort Hood Tuesday night, the Army Criminal Investigation Command (CID) said.

When law enforcement agencies “tried to contact” the man in Killeen, he pulled out a gun and shot himself, CID said.

The other suspect, a civilian, was arrested by the Texas Rangers. She is “the separated wife of a former Fort Hood soldier,” the CID statement said.

Pfc. Vanessa Guillén, 20, was last seen around noon on April 22 in the parking lot of the 3rd Cavalry Regiment Engineer Squadron headquarters at Fort Hood.

On Tuesday, seekers “returned to an area of ​​interest near the Leon River in Bell County, Texas, to conduct further investigative work” and discovered partial human remains in a shallow grave, the Army CID said.

The site, 40 kilometers from Fort Hood, is near the small town of Little River-Academy. It had previously been searched on June 22 due to a suggestion received by the search team.

Although the identity of the remains has not been officially confirmed, the search has been suspended, said Tim Miller, director and founder of Texas EquuSearch.

The lawyer representing Guillén’s family spoke at a press conference on Wednesday. “We believe his remains were found,” said Natalie Khawam. “We believe that the suspect committed suicide in the morning. And that unfortunately doesn’t give us much information about how this happened, why this happened, why a beautiful young soldier is not with us today. ”

The IADC report on the suspect’s suicide indicated that it happened early Wednesday. Killeen Police Chief later clarified that the man shot himself Tuesday night and was pronounced dead around 1 am Wednesday.

Guillén was last seen wearing a black shirt and purple fitness pants, according to the Army CID. Car keys, room key, ID card, and wallet were found in the armory room where he had been working that day. Your phone has not been found.

A $ 50,000 reward was offered in the case, with half presented by the US Army Criminal Investigation Command and the other half by the League of United Latin American Citizens.

Before Guillén disappeared, he had told his family that he was being sexually harassed by one of his sergeants at Fort Hood, according to the website his family created to promote the search. She did not identify the sergeant.

Just two weeks ago, authorities found the remains of another missing Fort Hood soldier. Gregory Wedel-Morales, 23, had last been seen driving in the city of Killeen on August 20, 2019. His remains were found on June 19 in a field in Killeen.

Foul play is suspected in his death. The two cases are not believed to be linked.