Affected products include USB charging cables, battery chargers, office equipment and other inexpensive accessories. A particularly problematic product, according to CNN, was a voice-enabled microwave that started “sparking and smoking” as soon as it was turned on by researchers tapped by CNN to examine the product.
CNN notes that in some cases the product in question was not used even when it caught fire or appeared to be overheating. The source of the issues was not immediately clear. But the problems were so widespread for some products that they were reported by dozens of people who bought the same item.
Amazon has discontinued some of the products identified by CNN, but continues to sell other items named in the report – even after many customers say the product melts, sparks, or otherwise poses a security threat.
In a statement, an Amazon spokesperson said that “safety is a top priority,” and the company “believes Amazonix Microwave is safe to use.” “The device meets or continues to meet FDA, UL, FCC, Prop 65 and all certification requirements established for safety and functionality,” the spokesperson said. Amazon also pointed to a recent blog post about AmazonBasics’ security.