OxygenOS 11 is Android 11-based of OnePlus, a completely redesigned software skin that, in Samsung’s One UI design philosophy, allows for better one-handed use on larger phones. After a relatively short cycle, OnePlus has decided to go ahead with releasing the stable version of Android 11 for its latest flagship ahead of next week’s 8T event. The OxygenOS 11 update is now rolling out for the first 8 Pro and 8, while older models will have to wait a bit for their turn.
OxygenOS 11 brings some major changes to the OnePlus 8 Series, including the much-anticipated Always-On Display Mode that gives you different layouts and designs to choose from. In addition, the update also makes it a little easier using dark mode. Finally toggling dark mode is the much requested, long-promised, dedicated Quick Settings. Finally, this OxygenOS version marks a noticeable departure from OnePlus’s near-stock interface, which looks a bit closer to Samsung’s One UI with bifurcated viewing and interaction areas in first-party apps.
According to the changes published with the update, here are all the changes that come with OxygenOS 11 in OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro:
- The fresh new UI visual design gives you a more comfortable experience with various customizations of details.
- The brand-new Weather UI supports dynamic switches between sunrise and sunset. You can now have days and nights in your hands.
- Improved stability and improved user experience on some third-party applications.
- Game space
- Newly added gaming tool box for convenient switch to fnatic mode. Now you can choose three modes of notifications: text-only, heads up and blocks, just for your immersive gaming experience.
- Newly added Quick Reply feature in a new window for Instagram and WhatsApp. (Enable it by swiping down from the top right / left corner of the screen in gaming mode)
- Newly appointed wrong touch prevention facility. Enable it, swipe down from the top of the screen, click and the notification bar will pop out.
- Ambient Discipline
- Always added ambient display function, custom schedule / all day options included. (To set: Settings> Display> Ambient Display)
- Newly added Insight Clock style, a joint construction with Parsons School of Design. This phone will change according to usage data. (To set: Settings> Customization> Clock style)
- Newly added 10 new watch styles. (To set: Settings> Customization> Clock style)
- Dark mode
- Added shortcut key for dark mode, drag down quick setting to enable.
- Support automatically turn on the feature and optimize the time frame. (To set: Settings> Display> Dark mode> Turn on automatically> Automatically enable from sunset to sunrise / custom time frame.)
- Zen mode
- Added 5 new themes (Ocean, Space, Meadow, and so on), and more time options.
- Include group feature in Zen mode, now you can invite your friends and enable Zen mode simultaneously.
- The story function is supported, automatically creating weekly videos with photos and videos in storage.
- Optimized loading speed, and image preview is now faster.
- The widget may disappear on the desktop. This can be set as follows: Long press on the desktop – “Widget” – “Settings” – Select the widget.
The update weighs a little over 2.8GB for some devices and is already reaching a handful of users. OnePlus releases the update in stages, and if the company does not face any major bugs that could potentially prevent a release, the firmware will be rolled out to a wider audience in the following days. As always, people with update envy can probably pull it down quickly via Oxygen Updater.
The OnePlus 7T Pro, 7T, 7 Pro, 7, 6T, 6, and Nord will all get the OxygenOS 11 update as well, but this is actually when it airs. Meanwhile, the upcoming OnePlus 8T will come pre-installed with the latest Android and OxygenOS flavors.
We did a wide handout of the new UI backs in August; You can see all the juicy screenshots while waiting for an update to hit your device. If you want to play it safely, you can still taste the design of the OnePlus phone running Android 10 on your old OnePlus phone, downloading the beta version of OnePlus’s Revised Weather app from APK Mirror.