The FBI interrogates the brothers about the death of the Border Patrol agent


The coffin bearers take Border Patrol agent Rogelio Martinez to the church of Our Lady of Guadalupe in El Paso for a funeral mbad on November 25. (Mark Lambie / El Paso Times via AP)

EL PASO – FBI agents Investigating the unexplained death of a Border Patrol agent, they have turned their attention to two brothers who may be suspects in the case, one of which has been placed in federal custody for an immigration violation, according to court documents filed this week in New Mexico. 19659003] President Trump quickly took advantage of the death of Border Patrol agent Rogelio Martinez last month to reaffirm his defense of a wall along the border with Mexico. But the FBI has only said that it is treating Martinez's death as a "potential attack" and has not yet determined whether he died in an accident or under other circumstances.

The documents published this week are the strongest signal so far researchers believe that Martinez was the victim of a beating on the side of the road on November 18. The 36-year-old agent was found with severe head injuries and broken bones at the bottom of a sewer along Interstate 10 in western Texas. He died in a hospital in El Paso hours later.

Another agent, whose court documents he identified for the first time as Stephan Garland, was found near Martinez with serious injuries and without any recollection of what happened. None of the officers drew their weapon, initially questioning the possibility that the agents were attacked.

Jeanette Harper, an FBI spokeswoman in El Paso, who leads the investigation, said officials could say little about the latest court documents because the probe is ongoing.

"We are still in the early stages to see if these people are connected to this incident," Harper said in an interview.

But in the court files, the FBI refers to the brothers, Antonio and Jesús Muñoz, as "the probable perpetrators of the badault."

[FBI investigating Border Agent’s death as ‘potential badault’]

On Sunday, investigators found tissue with red spots and other discolored clothing after getting an order to search for a Pontiac 2004 Grand Am transported Antonio Muñoz, already another brother, Daniel Muñoz, around November 20.

The brothers denied having a role in the incident and the knowledge of what happened with the agents.

Martinez's autopsy report has not yet been completed, the El Paso County Medical Examiner's Office said Wednesday.

Antonio Muñoz was arrested by the US Immigration and Customs Service on November 30 after admitting that he entered the United States illegally. New Mexico's federal prosecutor's office badigned one of its top prosecutors to Muñoz's immigration case on Tuesday, but it is unclear if the government plans to file additional charges.

According to the FBI affidavit, one informant told Border Patrol agents that the brothers were part of a group that may have badaulted the officers with stones.

A woman who traveled at Pontiac with the brothers told investigators that she heard Antonio Muñoz talking about crossing into the United States with drugs "that include methamphetamine and heroin."

The FBI affidavit states that Antonio Muñoz "was likely" a drug courier. "Court statements show that he was deported in 2015. He was taken into custody in Portales, NM, 280 miles from the site where they were found. Border Patrol agents injured near Van Horn, Texas

Muñoz is being represented in her immigration case by federal public defender Kari Converse of Albuquerque, she could not be contacted immediately on Wednesday.

US Judge Steven C. Yarbrough of Albuquerque ordered Muñoz to be held without bail, according to federal court records, Muñoz waived his rights to a preliminary hearing and a detention hearing.

Yarbrough is the same The magistrate who issued the search warrant Muñoz initially appeared before a federal magistrate in Roswell, New Mexico, following his arrest on immigration charges on November 30. His case was transferred to the Yarbrough court in Albuquerque that same day, according to the records.

Albuquerque reported for the first time on new court records. The KRQE television station.

Harper said the FBI continues to investigate the clues presented by the public and that the agency doubled its reward offer to $ 50,000 this week.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.