The family said the teen dies from brain-eating amoeba in Florida


Family of a teenage boy says he died from a Brain eating amoeba After vacationing at the North Florida Campground last month, local TV station WJXT reports. According to her parents, Talkatora Lake Wall, 13, was on a vacation spot in Palatka, Florida, including a water park and lake, before she suddenly fell ill.


Teen dead brain eating-amoeba-florida.jpg


© Handout
Teen dead brain eating-amoeba-florida.jpg


“He was just the person you always wanted,” said the boy’s father, Travis Wall. His mother said that the teenager was very active and loved the outdoors. Wall’s initial symptoms included nausea, vomiting, stiff neck, and severe headaches.

It is loading...

Load error

Wall’s parents took her to a hospital in Gainesville, Florida, where doctors placed the teenager on a ventilator and gave the family a serious diagnosis. “He said, ‘He has a parasitic amoeba and no cure,” his father told the station. Wall was removed from life support on 2 August after not showing any mind activity.

Wall’s parents are hoping that their tragic story will tell other families about its dangers Potentially fatal infection. “So the parents know, maybe they weren’t thinking about it because I’m sure we can tell we weren’t,” Travis Wall said. “We grew up swimming in ponds and creeks and stuff like that.”

The CDC states Naegleria fowleri – otherwise known as “brain-eating amoeba” – can cause brain infection to be called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis. Amoebas are typically found in fresh water, such as lakes and waterfalls.

The CDC warns that if contaminated water enters a person’s nose and brain, an infection can occur. Symptoms begin as a severe frontal headache, fever, nausea, and vomiting; Symptoms may then progress to stiff neck, seizures, altered mental status, hallucinations and coma.

Symptoms of infection usually begin a few days after swimming or other nasal exposure to contaminated water. People die within one to 18 days of symptom onset. However, the CDC states that people cannot be infected by swallowing contaminated water.

The Wall family told WJXT that they wanted warning signs to inform others about the dangers of swimming in warm water during summer. The station did not identify the campground as the Wall family said they visited, as officials have not yet positively detected Wall’s disease at that location.

“People need to be aware with hot water from late July to September, that this amoeba, it can come up to your nose. It can be diving. It can be things like swimming, water sports, skiing. Are. ”Travis Wall explained.

Naegleria fowleri infections are rare, according to the CDC. Between 2009 and 2001, there have been 37 infections in the US. In most cases, the CDC notes, people were infected in recreational water, while three were infected after irrigating the nose using contaminated tap water. One person was infected with contaminated tap water used on a backyard slip-n-slide.

Continue reading