The Back Nine comes at you questioning if anyone goes to trace my subsequent airplane journey in a few weeks. Come on, guys, it will make me really feel essential.
10. As we enter one other week of Chipmania, is it potential that there was a whole lot of unhealthy data on the market? It’s a training search so that may be a lock. Is it potential that Florida has been on this Chip Train for lots longer than one airplane journey to New Hampshire on Sunday? Is it potential that Kelly actually, actually needs to teach once more and has a troublesome choice to make and desires to take a while as a result of his transfer to the NFL didn’t work out so nicely? Is it potential that athletic director Scott Stricklin has performed a terrific job with this search in so some ways, but it surely nonetheless comes down as to if a coach needs to be right here in Gainesville? Is it potential the job hasn’t been provided to anybody but? Is it potential that there isn’t a information convention scheduled as we sit right here at present? Is it potential I do know greater than you badume I do know and approach lower than I feel I do know?
11. So the firing of Jim Mora got here on his birthday, which tells you in regards to the urgency UCLA felt to make a transfer. Otherwise, let him have his cake and ice cream first. Instead, AD Dan Guerrero (attention-grabbing aspect be aware — his flirtation with Andy Lopez when Guerrero was at UC-Irvine led to the Florida coach’s eventual firing in 2001) sang this track to Mora:
You say it’s your birthday.
We’re gonna fireplace you, yeah.
You say it’s your birthday.
Here’s 12 million .
You say it’s your birthday.
Let’s go to New Hampshire.
Mora was a curious rent to start with, however began his profession 29-11 earlier than ending it 17-19. That mentioned, I believed the Bruins performed their tails off on Saturday evening and who wouldn’t have fallen for the loopy punt return pretend? (Google it; it’s hilarious.)
12. It’s simply the world we stay in that brokers are capable of negotiate ridiculous buyouts and colleges are prepared to pay them. While we wait to get the ultimate phrase on how a lot cash Florida is paying Jim McElwain (apparently some author’s cramp points on these signatures), we do know that the inflow of TV cash is making it simpler to toss money round prefer it was Monopoly cash. Let’s badume Bret Bielema and Kevin Sumlin each get the ax and also you add these buyouts into the combo of McElwain and Jones. There will likely be some huge cash being paid to guys to not coach. I undoubtedly received into the unsuitable career. (Insert “duh” right here).
13. They imploded the Georgia Dome on Monday and it made me unhappy despite the fact that it was hardly a shock (now THAT would have been a narrative). Other than The Swamp and perhaps even together with it, no stadium has been a much bigger a part of my skilled and private life. There are so many apparent nice reminiscences of championships gained and wandering by way of the bowels to get interviews after Florida wins and losses. But it was greater than that. There was the twister SEC Tournament, nonetheless one of the crucial memorable occasions I’ve ever coated. There was Steve Spurrier vs. Doug Johnson in an NFL sport. There was that point Arkansas beat Kentucky within the SEC Tournament after Nolan Richardson instructed us he introduced 4 fits as a result of he wasn’t going residence early. There was the Les Miles impromptu information convention after he had been linked to the Michigan job (surprise if he needs now he had taken it?) But my favourite reminiscence got here in 2008 after Florida beat Alabama within the SEC title sport once I was on the sphere and my spouse was within the entrance row of the stands and we had been speaking loudly about spending per week at Fort Lauderdale Beach for the nationwide title sport and she or he saved asking me to get footage of the celebration on her telephone. That must be my Groundhog Day.
14. Oh my, Baker Mayfield. You’re not beginning towards West Virginia (neither is Will Grier, however that’s one other story) and you may’t be a captain within the sport? That’ll educate you to not make obscene gestures on the different sideline. What is the cope with the Heisman Trophy that apparently one of many conditions is you must have the maturity of a 7-year-old on a Fun Dip bender? (Jameis Winston, Johnny Manziel). At least their our bodies of jerk got here after they gained the award. There are going to be Heisman voters who will put Mayfield decrease on the poll or go away him off altogether due to his newest transgression. Seriously, who’s the final Heisman winner to take a seat out the beginning of the sport for disciplinary causes? Your reply must be Rex Grossman (2002 Orange Bowl), however that might have meant the voters watched soccer in 2001 and didn’t give the award to Eric Crouch. There are voters who’re going to attend and watch how another candidates do and, to be trustworthy, this is perhaps as shut as Lamar Jackson has been all season to repeating due to the frustration in Mayfield. Me? I can’t inform you that. It’s towards the legislation. Just know that I’m ready till the final regular-season video games are performed.
15. Sunday’s slender win for Florida’s basketball crew over New Hampshire (first time ever that state has appeared 3 times in a Back Nine column) could also be simply what the crew wanted, however we’ll have to attend and see on that. They know that photographs don’t all the time fall, however do they perceive why and do they grasp how essential it’s to do the whole lot else nicely when the edges are repelling the whole lot? And have I made any sense in any respect? The one factor I’ve seen early on this basketball season across the nation is how few groups have a giant man to depend on for inside factors when the surface photographs will not be falling. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
16. After Deanne Rose missed a possibility for a golden aim in Florida’s Sweet 16 matchup towards Washington State, UF soccer coach Becky Burleigh instructed the freshman throughout a break, “Look at me. Take a deep breath. You’re going to score.” And she did on Sunday giving the Gators a double OT win and a visit to Columbia, S.C., for an Elite Eight sport towards South Carolina on Friday. That means the Gators will likely be spending Thanksgiving on the highway, which definitely is best than the choice. “I called Jerri Spurrier and asked her if she could help us out with a place in Columbia for dinner for the entire team.” Burleigh mentioned. “She hooked us up.”
17. The Tweet of the week goes to my pal Chris Low of ESPN — “Having done this for 30 years, I’ve never seen anything rise to this level of lunacy with all the Gruden stuff. Not even close.” This was after the notorious Jon Gruden mistaken sighting at Calhoun’s in Knoxville. It can be even funnier if we weren’t coping with our personal ranges right here.
18. Because I’ve lastly given in and determined to get my left knee changed subsequent month, it wouldn’t harm to drop a number of kilos over the following three weeks so I’m beginning with this playlist for the gymnasium:
• “It’s A Shame” by First Aid Kit.
• “Holding On” by The War on Drugs for my buddy Rick who insisted I take a look at the brand new album (he was proper).
• “Sail On The Water” by Molly Parden.
• “Highway Tune” by Greta Van Fleet.
• And for an previous one which retains taking part in on the restricted Eagles channel on Sirius “Wall of Confusion” by Joe Walsh.
Contact Pat Dooley at 352-374-5053 or at [email protected] And comply with at Twitter.com/Pat_Dooley.