If all goes based on plan, quarterback Teddy Bridgewater will return to the Vikings’ energetic roster Wednesday (presumably to Sam Bradford’s detriment). It’s the newest plot level in Bridgewater’s inspiring story, the fruits of greater than 400 days of restoration because the 24-year-old dislocated his knee in a observe close to the top of the 2016 preseason. But the explanation the roster transfer leads this text is due to the questions surrounding what occurs subsequent.
Every indication out of Minnesota is that Case Keenum will begin Sunday in Washington. He’s led the Vikings to 4 straight wins so coach Mike Zimmer may as effectively throw him on the market once more as Bridgewater reacquaints himself with the place. But then what? Keenum might have the crew at 6-2, atop the NFC North by two video games, however there’s a purpose he’s bounced between cities over the previous 5 years whereas Bridgewater was a first-round choose. Keenum is averaging 6.9 yards per try this yr, simply shy of his profession excessive but nonetheless under the common Bridgewater posted in each 2014 and 2015. Plus, the offense now’s extra succesful than it was again then. Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs are the one teammates ranked within the high 10 at huge receiver by Pro Football Focus, and whereas Adrian Peterson could also be gone, the Minnesota offensive line has improved considerably. On high of that, teammates are saying that Bridgewater himself seems stronger than he was two years in the past. When on top of things, he ought to begin.
If there’s one factor Keenum has going for him, it is familiarity with awkward conditions. Earlier this yr, he was enjoying each week whereas the crew hoped to get Bradford again. Last season in Los Angeles, Keenum knew he was simply protecting the spot heat for first total choose Jared Goff. So how lengthy can Keenum maintain off the latest contender? Well, the Vikings are headed into the hardest stretch of their season. Once they get again from Washington, they’re going to face the Rams, Lions, Falcons, and Panthers. If Minnesota falters by that gauntlet with out elevating Bridgewater, the following chapter in his uplifting saga may contain fan uproar.
Not getting this text in your inbox but? Join The MMQB’s Morning Huddle.
NOW ON THE MMQB: Albert Breer’s first mock draft contains 4 first-round QBs … Jonathan Jones profiles sturdy however silent Julius Peppers … Jenny Vrentas explains Brett Favre‘s connection to a possible concussion drug … and extra.
LATER TODAY ON THE MMQB: Peter King interviews Sean McVay … The employees updates its playoff predictions … Andy Benoit places collectively a first-half All-Pro crew … and extra. Stay tuned.
It appears to be like like Jimmy Garoppolo and 49ers followers should maintain ready for his debut.
Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images
1. Jimmy Garoppolo has gone from backing up Tom Brady to holding C.J. Beathard’s clipboard. Garoppolo shall be on the 49ers sideline as soon as once more Sunday as he continues studying the offense. But even with the rookie Beathard beginning, Zero-9 San Francisco is favored over the Giants. One extra little bit of 49ers information: the crew was removed from dismayed with operating again Carlos Hyde for getting ejected after a fourth-quarter scrap Sunday. “I really loved how he went and got our quarterback’s back,” coach Kyle Shanahan mentioned.
2. The Texans added one other quarterback: journeyman backup Josh Johnson. He hasn’t thrown a go in an everyday season sport since 2011.
Three. Following a blistering begin, Chiefs rookie Kareem Hunt has not scored in six weeks and has rushed for greater than 50 yards simply as soon as prior to now 4 video games. Rookie wall or opponent adjustment? Heading into the bye, Kansas City coaches truly say it is the road that should rediscover its type.
four. While a younger runner fades heading into his bye, an outdated one may be hitting his stride. Marshawn Lynch‘s second half Sunday evening was his better of the yr (49 yards), an indication that coach, offensive line, and operating again are getting on the identical web page after a tumultuous first half to the season.
Bears operating again Tarik Cohen is overflowing with power on and off the sphere.
Robin Alam/Icon Sportswire/Getty Images
5. Bears rookie gadget Tarik Cohen is enjoyable on Sundays. As Dan Pompei finds, he is truly enjoyable on a regular basis. On exerting greater than anybody else throughout observe (based on the Bears’ GPS system), Cohen mentioned, “I just want to have fun. Sitting still isn’t too much fun.” On the subject of his 10-inch palms, the second-largest amongst operating backs on the mix on the smallest prospect in Indianapolis, he mentioned, “These hands are good for catching the ball. They also are good for smacking the fire out of people when they talk crazy to me.” There’s lots extra the place all that got here from.
6. Shockingly, Pennsylvania native and Steelers legend Bill Cowher now considers himself a New Yorker. “You never know what you’re going to run into,” Cowher mentioned of town—like perhaps a Super Bowl champion coach. But do not get too excited, Giants followers. It is “highly unlikely” he ever coaches once more.
7. Back in Pittsburgh, Martavis Bryant has returned to the combination and Ben Roethlisberger is working to maintain JuJu Smith-Schuster grounded.
eight. The Colts snapped their dropping streak Sunday, largely due to a gritty effort from left deal with Anthony Castonzo, who spent the week not sure if he’d be capable to play with a foul knee.
9. A Three-1 report in Denver has changed into Three-5 as Vance Joseph‘s honeymoon interval with the Broncos has pale deep into the gap. But he is sticking with Brock Osweiler, for now at the least.
10. After discovering a signature win in Seattle, what’s subsequent for Washington?
Have a narrative you badume we must always embrace in tomorrow’s Press Coverage? Let us know right here.
The Eagles’ and Broncos’ 2017 seasons, summarized in a single Instagram clip.
Question? Comment? Story concept? Let the crew know at [email protected]