Stanford apologizes to doctors after protests over botched vaccine rollout


Protests erupted Friday at Stanford University Medical Center Hospital in California, where Fricline residents and colleagues pelted stones at the hospital over delivery of the hospital’s botched Kovid-19 vaccine.

“In the first room! Behind the line!” He shouted A video was posted on Twitter.

The protesters accused the medical center of prioritizing more senior doctors and other medical personnel, who do not directly interface with patients at the highest risk of contracting Kovid-19 from patients to patients.

“We found out that only seven out of 1,349 residents were selected for the first wave of vaccination,” third-year resident Charles Marcus told the NBC Bay Area.

Stanford outlined its vaccine rollout plan earlier this week, stating that the vaccines will be available from Friday and first given to health care workers who “provide direct care and service to patients, whom COVID – Are at highest risk of exposure to 19. and those at risk of complications from the disease. “

It did not happen, protesters said. Instead, according to an investigation published by ProPublica, an algorithm was used to select 5,000 workers who would be first in line. The algorithm failed to include residents who did not have a “designated” location within the hospital to add to the calculation.

As a result, residents, who are considered the lowest-ranking doctors, but who work very closely with patients, survived first-round vaccines.

Medical officers at Stanford said in a letter to their colleagues that they are “truly sorry” for the vaccine delivery plan and are working to develop a revised version.

He said, “We take full responsibility and apologize politely to all of you. We fully recognize that we should have acted more quickly to correct the errors that resulted from what we had not anticipated. We really Sorry, ”he said in the letter signed. President and CEO of Stanford Health Care and Stanford Children’s Health, as well as Dean and Chief Medical Officer of the Medical School.

He said in the letter, “We recognize the disappointment and crisis caused by this, and we appreciate those who brought these concerns to us.” “We deeply value every member of our community and the extravagant contributions you have made to our mission – especially during this challenging year.”

A similar incident occurred at a Los Angeles-area hospital where a marketing executive and his wife, who do not meet the county’s guidelines for vaccination, received a dose this week. Los Angeles County public health officials said they are investigating.

Friday’s demonstrations at Stanford closed a painful week for California, which is quickly becoming the epicenter of the coronavirus epidemic in the US

The state government this week activated a “mass disaster” program in response to the intense number of Kovid-19 cases and lack of beds in intensive care units. It was ordered to include 5,000 body bags and dozens of refrigerated trucks to help hospitals and morgues.

“There’s light at the end of a tunnel, but we’re still in the tunnel,” he noted the vaccine rollout at a news conference on Tuesday. “And that means that we are going through the most intense and urgent moment since the onset of this epidemic.”

On Thursday, public health officials announced a record 379 deaths. In the past five days, there have been more than 1,000 deaths and in just two days this week, The Associated Press reported more than 100,000 newly confirmed cases.

Regional stay-at-home orders are in effect for the most difficult epidemics affected by the epidemic, all of the southern Jodia Valley, and in southern Sacramento and the Gulf regions.

Both Southern California and the San Joaquin Valley have reported 0 percent ICU capacity. In the state, as per the latest numbers released by the public health authorities, only 1,234 ICU beds are available.

The Chief Medical Officer of Los Angeles County-University of Southern California Medical Center, Drs. Brad Spellberg told reporters on Friday, “I’m not giving it sugarcane: we’re being crushed.” “La County is now moving towards becoming the epicenter of the epidemic.”

On Friday, more than 41,000 new cases were reported in California. According to NBC News, more than 1.7 million confirmed coronovirus cases have been reported in the state since the epidemic began.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.