South Korean man murdered Hwasong teenager after spending 20 years in prison for his murder

Yun Seong-yeo – now in his 50s – was found not guilty on Thursday after a resurrection in the northwestern city of Suwan in the 1988 rape case and the rape and murder of a 13-year-old in her bedroom in Hwasong. After, the area near Seoul, the capital of a rural underdeveloped country.

Between 1986 and 1991 the teen died due to the Hwaseng murders in a region of high-profile deaths. Yun was the only person convicted in connection with the murders. He was sentenced to life in prison and eventually spent 20 years behind bars for the rape and murder of a 13-year-old girl.

In a ruling issued on Thursday, Judge Park Jeong-jae found that the police had used torture, including lack of sleep, and illegal detention to obtain Yunu’s confession to the 1988 murder.

He said, “As a member of the judiciary, I apologize to the accused, who suffered physical and mental anguish for not being able to function properly as the last bastion of human rights by the court.” We sincerely hope that the reconsideration of this case will be of little consolation and will contribute to restore the honor of the accused. ‘

The result means that Yoon’s name is finally cleared – more than 30 years after the assassination. According to experts, this is a rare result in South Korea, where only a small proportion of applications are accepted for retirees.

“I’m relieved that the final verdict found me innocent,” Yun followed the verdict. “I can carry this heavy load for 30 years and get some rest.”

Although he has claimed his innocence for years, but after getting a breakthrough in the case last year, he was sent back to jail.

In September, police announced that new DNA evidence linked at least some of the Hwasong murders to Lee Chun-jae, who has been in prison since 1994 for the rape and murder of her sister-in-law. The following month, Lee confessed to all 10 of the murders and another four that police did not provide details of.

Overwhelming confession

On months of ongoing reconsideration, Yoon’s lawyers argued that his client – who was 22 years old, an illiterate repairer with a lame from childhood polio when he was arrested – confessed to police.

Yuen told CNN that he was kept in a room for three days, not allowed to sleep, and barely ate during interrogation.

30 years ago, he was wrongly convicted of murder.  Now the police has apologized for forcing him to make a false statement
In July, Bae Yong-ju, the head of the Gyeonggi Nambu Provicial Police Agency, admitted that during a preliminary investigation in 1989, the police beat up Yoon and forced him to make false statements.

“We apologize to all the victims of Li Chun-jay’s crimes, and the families of the victims, and the victims of the police investigation, including Yun,” Bae said, noting other people who did the initial breath investigation Was suffering from “police malpractice”.

According to Lee Soo-jung, a forensic psychology professor at Kyonggye University, it was common in South Korea to keep awake long enough to admit suspected criminals. Lack of sleep is considered a form of torture.

In an interview with CNN in November, Korean National Police Agency Commissioner General Kim Chang-yong said that last year’s police investigation revealed that the police had used illegal imprisonment and incorrect investigative techniques. He said that the decision to highlight past wrongdoings showed the commitment of the police not to commit the same mistakes.

“It was an embarrassing, illegal investigation,” he said. “I believe this should never happen again and that is why we need to check and balance. The police is working hard not to repeat past mistakes.”

Cold case solved

For decades, the Hwasong murders – which were again unsold by “Parasite” director Bong Jun Ho – in “Memors of Murder,” 2003. Lee’s confession may have helped bring the victims’ families closer.

Kim said police profilers interviewed Lee 52 times in about seven months before he confessed to all the crimes he had committed. “He didn’t confess easily,” Kim said.

During a notable session during the months of November, Lee takes the stand in front of Yoon to confess to the murders. He said he did not know why he was not a suspect during the initial investigation, adding that he was also questioned by police at the time of the murders, when he had a victim’s watch.

“I don’t think the crimes will be buried forever,” Lee said. “I came and testified and described the crimes of the (victims and their families) to get some rest when the truth was revealed. I will live my life with remorse.”

What will happen next

Yun can now seek compensation for 20 years of wrongfully imprisoned. One of Yoon’s attorneys, Park Joon-Young, told CNN earlier this year that Yoonu might expect more than $ 1 million in compensation.

The U.N. previously told CNN that no amount can compensate for the years spent in prison and the impact on his reputation and family.

Police are planning to issue a white paper on the Hwasong case and police failures during the initial investigation. Kim said that it is now “impossible” to imagine such failures.

Justice for the families of the Hwasong victims is unlikely.

Even though Lee has confessed to the murders, he cannot be prosecuted for the Hwasong cases because the limits of those murders have expired.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.