Shutdown to move to Ontario province December 26


TORONTO, ONT – Ontario announced a provincewide shutdown on Monday because of the second wave of COVID-19 in Canada’s most populous province.

The lockdown will be held from December 26 to January 23 for southern Ontario, but will pick up January for northern Ontario. 9. Health officials criticized the delay, with a top infectious disease doctor saying it was ridiculous to wait. To close the day after Christmas.

There are seven straight days of more than 2,000 cases a day in Ontario. Modeling suggests that January may be more than double. Health officials have previously stated that four to six weeks of hard lockout could prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Toronto, Canada’s largest city, had already closed restaurants for indoor dining but schools remained open. All high schools in Ontario will now be closed for in-person learning until January 25. Primary schools will remain closed till January 11.

After the COVID-19 cases increased in the spring, Canada leveled the epidemic curve with lockdown. But like other countries, COVID has been weighed, relaxed restrictions and sparked a second wave.

Health Minister Christine Elliott said, “We have flattened the curve before and we can do it again.”

Associate Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Barbara Yaffe said Ontario is in a very challenging and precarious position.

“Anywhere there are isolated outbreaks,” Yaffe said.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said there could be a delay until December 26 that would allow businesses outside the current lockdown areas to get ready for it. He said this gives the restaurant a chance to sell some of its inventory.

“I’m not including anything,” Ford said. “I have to be fair to these businesses that have massive inventories.”

Dr., a professor of infectious diseases at the University of Toronto and medical director of the Antimicrobial Studieship Program at the Sinai-University Health Network. Andrew Morris said Ford is prioritizing the economy over delayed health.

“Ridiculous. Expensive life. For what?” Said Morris.

The Ontario Hospital Association said in a statement that it was “shocked and disappointed” that the lockdown would not happen for the next five days

“The people of this province need clear public health communication, and the implementation date of December 26 sends a misleading message about what they should and should not do at this critical time. We are already hearing from hospital and health system leaders who are surprised that the restrictions will not be implemented until after Christmas, ”association president Anthony Dale said in the statement.

The CEO of William Osler Health System, which operates hospitals in the Toronto suburb, is Dr. Naved Mohammed said that people needed to act as if the lockdown had already started.

“We will not get through this until the people of this province find out what their journey risks to their home to themselves and their loved ones,” he said, looking at hospitals in Brampton, Ontario , Struggling with capacity. “Please stay home, starting today.”

Copyright 2020 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This content may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.