Second US judge UU Stops the transgender military ban proposed by Trump



[ad_1]

BALTIMORE – Another federal judge halted a proposed transgender military ban, expanding an initial decision issued last month against the plan by the administration of President Donald Trump.

In a preliminary order issued Tuesday in Baltimore, District Judge Marvin Garbis ruled that members of the transbadual service have "demonstrated that they are already suffering harmful consequences" because of the proposed ban, including the threat of discharge, stigma and the cancellation or delay of surgeries related to gender transitions. The six plaintiffs in the lawsuit they reviewed have been receiving hormone therapy.

Trump had announced on Twitter in July that the government would not allow transgender people to serve in the military in any capacity. The order was a proposal to reestablish a long-standing policy that prohibited transgender people from joining the army and also subjected service members to discharge if they revealed themselves as transgender. That policy was changed last year under President Barack Obama.

But in an energetic pbadage from his 53-page decision, Garbis wrote that the "capricious, arbitrary and unconditional tweet of the new policy does not prevail over the methodical and systematic review by qualified military stakeholders to understand the ramifications of the policy change. "

Related

Last month, another federal judge, US District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly in Washington, barred the Trump administration from proceeding with plans to exclude transgender people of military service. She said the administration had not provided solid evidence of why a ban should be implemented. In a court appearance on Tuesday, the government said it would appeal the Kollar-Kotelly ruling.

A spokeswoman for the US Department of Justice, Lauren Ehrsam, said officials disagreed with Garbis's decision and pondered the next steps

"(The plaintiffs' lawsuit that challenges the requirements of the Military service is premature for many reasons, including that the Department of Defense is actively reviewing such service requirements, as ordered by the President, and because none of the plaintiffs has established that they will be affected by current military policies. "Ehrsam said in an email.

Trump sent an August memorandum ordering the Pentagon to indefinitely extend the ban on transgender people joining the military, and gave Defense Secretary Jim Mattis six months to devise a policy on "how to go to "those who are currently serving."

A Pentagon spokesman, Mark Wright, said the dec Tuesday's election will have no impact on the current policy of the Department of Defense. [19659011] "As stated in the Department of Defense guide, no action can be taken to unintentionally separate or dismiss a service member qualified solely by a diagnosis of gender dysphoria or transgender status," Wright said.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which filed a motion for a preliminary injunction against the proposed ban in September, applauded Tuesday's decision. The lawsuit reviewed by the Baltimore judge was filed by the ACLU on behalf of six transgender members of the armed forces.

"Today is a victory for members of the transbadual service throughout the country," ACLU senior lawyer Joshua Block said in a statement. "We are happy that the courts have intervened to ensure that members of the trans service are treated with the dignity and respect they deserve."

The proposed prohibition remains inapplicable according to the preliminary injunctions.

The transgender ban was also discussed in a federal court in Seattle on Tuesday in a case filed by the gay rights group Lambda Legal, with a judge questioning a Justice Department attorney about the president's intent and how his The directive has already affected transgender troops.

FOLLOW NBC OUT ON TWITTER FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM

[ad_2]
Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.