Second night of riots after the fatal police shooting of Duante Wright outside of Minneapolis

Trouble flared up again during a second night of protests outside the police headquarters in the Brooklyn Center suburb of Minneapolis, a day after one of the city officers shot and killed 20-year-old black man Daunte Wright. during a traffic stop, reports CBS Minnesota.

Downtown Brooklyn Police Chief Tim Gannon told a news conference Monday that the officer who shot Wright intended to use his taser, but instead grabbed his gun. Kim Potter, a 26-year veteran of the force, has been placed on administrative leave.

The Minnesota Office of Criminal Detention is investigating Wright’s death.

Sunday’s shooting occurred in the middle of Derek Chauvin’s trial for the murder of George Floyd.

A 7 p.m. curfew in Hennepin County did not deter hundreds of protesters Monday as they chanted outside the venue. The building was fenced. Brooklyn Center officers outside were supported by state troopers and members of the Minnesota National Guard.

After several dispersal orders were ignored, explosions and tear gas were fired. The protesters responded with fireworks launched towards the forces of order.

The tear gas fired every few minutes pushed many in the crowd away from the front of the building around 9:30 p.m.

Soon after, police began advancing on protesters and firing rubber bullets, CBS Minnesota’s Dave Schuman reported from the scene. Around the same time, the Brooklyn Center City Council voted to ban its officers from the use of rubber bullets and chemical irritants for crowd control.

The crowd had shrunk a lot by 10:30 pm, when law enforcement expanded their perimeter. Schuman tweeted that police had set up a line at a gas station a few blocks away.

Authorities said in an early morning briefing that approximately 40 people were arrested, some officers suffered minor injuries and there were some cases of looting.

Duante Wright
Duante Wright

Katie Wright / CBS Minnesota


Source link