MPs said the chances of a second round of coronovirus-stimulation payments are not dead but certainly on life-support.
A stripped-down stimulus plan launched last week failed to garner enough votes in the Senate to move forward, and most are speculating that relief measures will remain on hold until after the November 3 presidential election.
Alabama’s senators split their votes on a $ 500 billion measure that did not include incentive checks, but was the first step toward direct payment as part of a larger bill. Sen. Doug Jones joined fellow Democrats in voting against the measure; Sen. Richard Shelby, a Republican, supported the GOP bill.
There is no indication that Congress is close to reaching any kind of deal.
When asked by CNN if the incentive talks were dead, Shelby replied “it looks like this.”
However, he hoped that an agreement could be reached.
“You’ll never know around here,” Shelby said. “Sometimes things look bleak and they revive, and so forth. We thought the scale-down version was a good bill, a good time, and everything else. Democrats clearly thought otherwise. That’s what we all Can, it has to end and go with it. “
Jones said his vote reflected the failures of the GOP bill.
Instead of an incentive package, Congress will turn its attention to a temporary funding measure that will keep the government operating until September 30. If the Senate passes an incentive bill at the end of September, the House will have approval by October 1. A remedy, leaving little time for the relief package.
The previous incentive amount – over $ 2,400 for married couples and $ 500 for dependent children – went to about 160 million Americans. According to a survey, 52% of the people who received the incentive – most said they used the money to pay off the loan. Thirty-two percent said they saved most of the money; 15% said they spent money or were planning.