Teams from the Seattle Department of Transportation began removing the concrete barriers that mark the entrance to the area that protesters call the Capitol Hill organized protest, or CHOP, on Tuesday.
A team used heavy machinery to remove the concrete barriers at 10th and East Pine Street. Seattle police officers were also on-site to assist crews in the event protesters intervened.
Protesters almost immediately began building a makeshift barricade to take the place of the concrete barrier, moving furniture, trash cans and plywood onto the road to continue to block traffic in the area.
SEATTLE CHOP’S LAST SHOTS KILL 16-YEAR-OLD CHILD, CRITICALLY INJURED 14-YEAR-OLD BOY
As of Tuesday morning, no plans had been established to remove the other concrete barriers in front of the abandoned East Precinct, according to Assistant Chief of the Seattle Police Department, Adrian Diaz.
Monday marked the fourth shooting near the CHOP zone since the occupation began three weeks ago.
A 16-year-old boy was killed and a 14-year-old boy remained hospitalized in critical condition after a shooting on 12th Avenue between Pike and Pine around 3 a.m.
Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best appeared on camera Monday night to urge protesters to leave the CHOP area, saying “enough is enough here.”
“This is something that will have to change,” Best said. “We ask people to leave this area for the safety of the people. If they care about the people, they will have to try to help us make it safe.”
CHOP PROTESTERS EYE AREA NEAR PRECINCT, FOCUSING AWAY FROM THE PARK: REPORT
Best said the shooting resulted in the second death of an African American victim “in a place where they claim to be working for the Black Lives Matter.”
Horace Lorenzo Anderson, 19, was shot to death on June 20 when there was a shooting around 2:30 a.m. near Cal Anderson Park on 10th Avenue and East Pine Street inside the CHOP. A second man was injured in the incident.
The doom prompted Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, a Democrat, to announce last week that the city would begin dismantling the occupied area, but the barriers and tent camp at Cal Anderson Park remained in place throughout the day of the Monday, KING-TV reported. .
A 17-year-old boy was also shot in the arm near Cal Anderson Park on June 21, and a man in his 30s was shot in the calf near the CHOP area on June 23.
The city’s efforts to dismantle the CHOP were thwarted on Friday when protesters lay down on the street to prevent Seattle Department of Transportation teams and heavy machinery from removing the barricades around the occupied area. The crews left after two hours without removing the barricades.
The camp at Cal Anderson Park has become more difficult to manage, sparking violence and a large homeless population since the occupation began three weeks ago.
Organizers said Sunday they are looking to move to the abandoned East Precinct, where most of the protest leaders have already taken refuge, as part of an effort to secure their best bargaining chip to convince city officials to act. about police reform and other lawsuits, the Seattle Times reported.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Negotiations between protesters and city officials over the weekend were unsuccessful, despite Durkan reiterating on Sunday that he outlined a plan earlier this week to review the budget of the Seattle Police Department and allocate funds to invest in communities. black.
“In the past few weeks, I have had more than a dozen meetings with organizations, black leaders and protesters. Right now, I’m at City Hall doing the job, ”Durkan tweeted.