The Seattle Sounders extended their unbeaten streak to five games, but saw Jordan Morris out injured through a 2-1 victory over Orlando City SC on Wednesday night at CenturyLink Field.
In his first start since returning from injury, Raul Ruidiaz scored his first goal in two months to put the Sounders in front after 19 minutes. Brad Smith played fast one-two with Harry Shipp before sending a low ball through the face of the goal that Ruidiaz took advantage of for his third goal of the season.
Morris had a golden opportunity to double the Sounders' lead just before halftime when he held onto a Smith serve, but his header down bounced off the crossbar.
Morris would leave the game five minutes after the second half, a worrying time for the Sounders fans, with what appeared to be a thigh injury.
Ruidiaz almost had his second goal in the hour mark, sticking to a pass from Cristian Roldan. But Orlando City SC goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh did well to leave his line to catch the ball of the Peruvian after a strong first touch.
Handwalla Bwana, who replaced Morris, doubled the advantage of the Sounders, hitting a cross from Nico Lodeiro with his shin in the 68th minute. The goal remained after a long video review for a possible handball Lodeiro in the accumulation.
After missing a golden-edge opportunity, Chris Mueller led the Lions to a goal in the 75th minute, taking a step to overtake Roldan before again throwing a low shot through the grain for his third goal of the season.
- 20 '- MAR – Raul Ruidiaz | CLOCK
- 68 '- MAR – Handwalla Bwana | CLOCK
- 75 '- ORL – Chris Mueller | CLOCK
- THE PANORAMA: They ended up being closer than they wanted, but the Sounders always seemed to have control of the game. They win their second consecutive place to move to two LAFC points of first place in the West, while the Lions fell for the third time in a row and extend a streak without winning to four games.
- MOMENT OF THE PARTY: The Sounders fans will be happy that Ruidiaz, who came back from an injury, has found the back of the net again, but is probably worried that Morris will stop after a sprint while the Sounders deal with another apparent injury of the hamstrings.
Hamstring FC is ruthless. Gustav Svensson, Victor Rodriguez and Jordan Morris in a matter of weeks. https://t.co/46OF0c8n9u
– Ari Liljenwall (@AriLiljenwall) May 16, 2019
- MAN OF THE PARTY: Smith was a monster on both sides of the ball. Defensively, he had three free spaces and two tackles won, while he had 14 successful passes in the last third, two successful crosses and one assist in an 86 minute quality turn.
- SEA: Saturday, May 18 at Philadelphia Union (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN + in the US, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)
- ENT: Sunday May 19 against FC Cincinnati (3:00 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN + in the US, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)