Santa Catalina registered 534 cases of dengue fever last month | News



PORTMORE, Santa Catalina:

The Ministry of Health has said that notifications of dengue fever are declining in Santa Catalina, despite the 534 cases recorded last month.

Speaking in the Portmore part of a responsibility tour sponsored by the Ministry of Health that was held at Portmore Community College on Thursday night, the Medical Director of Health of the National Epidemiology Unit of the Ministry of Health, Dr. Karen Webster Kerr said that recently collected data have shown that 534 "Dengue notifications were recorded in Santa Catalina in January, compared to 187 last year, of this number 38, eight percent came only from Portmore" .

"I am very cautious, but I will say that there seems to be a gradual decrease in the notifications received in January, and based on the data we are now collecting, we may be able to see a downward trend moving forward," he said. The gleaner

TYPE 3 STRING

"Most of these notifications were for the Type 3 strain of the virus," Webster Kerr added. She could not say what percentage it was for the hemorrhagic fever of the deadly dengue.

Health officials in the parish reported in January that of the 187 notifications received last year, eight percent corresponded to dengue hemorrhagic fever.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Health, Dr. Christopher Tufton, promoted what he described as a multiple approach of the Government to control the spread of the virus. This includes the hiring of more health workers, both permanent and temporary, to accelerate the educational impulse and the identification of breeding sites in homes, the destruction of breeding sites and the advancement of scientific methods to control theAedes Aegypti The population of mosquitoes, the vector that transmits the virus.

EFFECTIVE GOVERNMENT

"The vector that spreads the disease is here to stay, so, as a government, we have to find ways to deal with the crisis. I am pleased with the efforts of the government that are proving to be effective in the fight against the disease, "Dr. Tufton said at the meeting.

"We have progressed over the years and, according to the data we are seeing in the ministry, there are indications that we are at the highest level and we should start to see a downward movement," Tufton revealed, expanding his vision of his health. professionals

He said that currently allocations are made to members of parliament, councilors, the National Solid Waste Management Authority, the National Public Works Agency and the Ministry of Health.

"You are seeing a few million dollars that would have been spent on the Portmore council, so it is a matter for the council to come together and combine their efforts working with the respective parliamentarians and the public health team at the parish and forces with "Other agencies will be a formidable force to create awareness and control breeding sites," Tufton told Gleaner.

[email protected]


Source link

Check Also

Newborn triplets test positive for Covid-19 in San Luis Potosí

In a rare case, the newborn triplets tested positive for the coronavirus a few hours …