You might need had a great month—your Halloween costume might need even gone viral—however odds are, October wasn’t nearly as good to you because it was to those three NFC groups. The Saints, Seahawks and Eagles entered October a mixed Four-5, however now discover themselves close to the highest of the convention due to a mixed 13-Zero run. Which of the three, although, needs to be saddest on Wednesday, when the calendar turns to November?
New Orleans Saints (beat MIA, DET, GB, and CHI)
The protection specifically emerged for this shock NFC contender, ending October within the high 5 in offensive/particular groups factors allowed and takeaways per sport. The Saints allowed 44% fewer complete factors than they did throughout the identical stretch final 12 months. The primary variations have been standout rookie nook Marshon Lattimore and defensive finish Cameron Jordan acting at All-Professional ranges.
Seattle Seahawks (beat IND, LAR, NYG, and HOU)
The Seahawks almost had their excellent month spoiled by Deshaun Watson & Co. at residence Sunday, however Russell Wilson led yet one more game-winning drive to maneuver Seattle to 5-2. The largest win of the month got here in L.A. over the division rival Rams—the groups are tied atop the NFC West, with a Week 15 head-to-head in Seattle nonetheless to return.
Philadelphia Eagles (beat LAC, ARI, CAR, WAS, and SF)
The Eagles are the one group to go away October with a 5-Zero file, homeowners of the league’s longest profitable streak (six video games) and its greatest file (7-1). Now, as they enter the season’s second half, the query is whether or not coach Doug Pederson can preserve his group as finely tuned whereas the goal on its again grows, and do it with out stalwart left sort out Jason Peters (cross safety was a difficulty in Sunday’s residence win over the 49ers).
Not getting this text in your inbox but? Be part of The MMQB’s Morning Huddle.
NOW ON THE MMQB: Conor Orr asks Eric Reid and Malcolm Jenkins about studies of discord within the participant protest motion … Joe Thomas (sure, that Joe Thomas) writes about watching the Browns from the sofa … Albert Breer explains the importance of Bob McNair‘s ‘inmate’ remark … and extra.
LATER TODAY ON THE MMQB: Andy Benoit recaps the weekend’s largest storyline … Orr previews Broncos-Chiefs … and extra. Keep tuned.
The Seahawks celebrated a dramatic victory over the Texans due to a late Jimmy Graham rating.
Otto Greule Jr/Getty Photographs
1. Seahawks 41, Texans 38. In one other game-of-the-year contender, Russell Wilson (452 pbading yards, 4 touchdowns) outdueled rookie Deshaun Watson (402 yards, 4 touchdowns) at residence. Watson and Houston truly had an opportunity to clinch the sport on a third-and-Four following Wilson’s solely interception of the day, however a run up the center was stuffed. Wilson than produced a three-play, 80-yard drive, beginning with a 48-yard connection to Paul Richardson and ending with an oddly uncovered Jimmy Graham scoring a landing from 18 yards out.
2. Steelers 20, Lions 15. Detroit had a number of probabilities to tug forward late, however three second-half purple zone drives netted a complete of three factors as Pittsburgh held agency. On the opposite aspect, the Steelers’ spotlight was a 97-yard landing by rookie sensation JuJu Smith-Schuster.
Three. Cowboys 33, Washington 19. One other mbadive day for Ezekiel Elliott (150 yards, two touchdowns) powered the Cowboys to a key divisional street win that will get them again above .500. In the meantime, a Three-Four Washington group finds itself banged up, losers of three of its final 4, and liable to having this season go sideways.
Four. Payments 34, Raiders 14. Buffalo collected 4 turnovers on a rain-soaked discipline whereas LeSean McCoy ran for 151 yards in one other win over a presumed contender. We’ll see if this one is sufficient to earn the 5-2 Payments nationwide consideration heading right into a Thursday nighter towards the Jets.
5. Saints 20, Bears 12. The New Orleans protection managed motion for many of this sport, although Chicago stayed in it till the top thanks to 2 Mark Ingram fumbles and an extended kickoff return by Tarik Cohen. Finally, rookie nook Marshon Lattimore picked off rookie quarterback Mitchell Trubisky to safe the victory—the Saints’ fifth straight after beginning Zero-2.
Luke Kuechly returned to badist take down the Bucs on the street.
Joe Robbins/Getty Photographs
6. Panthers 17, Buccaneers Three. For a second straight sport, Carolina went on the street and its protection didn’t give up a landing. However this time, Cam Newton threw one interception relatively than two and did sufficient (18-of-32, 154 yards) to maneuver his group to 5-Three, within the thick of a decent NFC South race.
7. Patriots 21, Chargers 13. It required a game-ending interception, however New England held on for a house win. Tom Brady completed with 333 yards—85 of which went to James White—and the Pats would have gained by extra had it not been for 2 Stephen Gostkowski misses.
eight. Falcons 25, Jets 20. Atlanta trailed New York into the fourth quarter and we could possibly be having a really completely different dialog concerning the defending NFC champs had it not been for a powerful landing seize by Mohamed Sanu in a downpour. We’ll know extra concerning the Four-Three Falcons after an upcoming stretch throughout which they face the Panthers, Cowboys, and Seahawks consecutively.
9. Eagles 33, 49ers 10. The Philadelphia offense marched on with out injured left sort out Jason Peters, although there have been some indicators of bother.
10. Bengals 24, Colts 23. After being shutout, Indianapolis went again to enjoying compelling (if meaningless) soccer Sunday in Cincinnati. This time, Jacoby Brissett threw a fourth-quarter pick-six that ended up being the decider.
11. Vikings 33, Browns 16. DeShone Kizer wasn’t benched this time, however he wasn’t a lot better both, finishing 53% of his pbades at simply over 5 yards per try in London. Cleveland held a lead at halftime for the primary time this season, however watched all of it slip away within the fourth quarter.
Have a narrative you suppose we should always embody in tomorrow’s Press Protection? Let me know right here.
Mike Trout‘s Angels aren’t enjoying within the World Sequence, however he nonetheless made a catch yesterday.
Query? Remark? Story concept? Electronic mail me instantly or let the group know at [email protected]