Richard Fain, President and CEO of Royal Caribbean Group, has asked the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to drop the Conditional Sailing Order (CSO).
Fain said that while the No Boating Order was dropped for the CSO in October, it calls for a four-phase approach that is now out of date.
“It requires a four-phase (approach),” he said, speaking at a webinar on Wednesday, “but four and a half months after that, we’re still in phase one and we still don’t know what will be necessary for phase two. it’s pretty impractical, for us and the CDC. “
Fain said that the cruise industry has successfully carried more than 350,000 passengers since last summer, while Royal Caribbean Group has carried more than 100,000 passengers with only 10 positive cases of COVID-19, which were adequately answered.
“We think science has gotten ahead of (OSC),” Fain continued. “It was a very good process in the past. In October of last year we thought it was a positive (move) and now it is out of date. “
Fain said Royal Caribbean, along with the rest of the industry and the Healthy Sail Panel, now feel it is time to move on, citing positive developments with the COVID-19 vaccine, testing and contact tracing.