Roku and Comcast settle for taking Peacock over Roku


Comcast and Roku have come to an agreement months after NBCUniversal’s Peacock streaming service began. Peacock will be available to stream on Stop in the coming weeks.

“We are pleased that an agreement has been reached with Comcast that will extend Mayura to Rocco customers and maintain access to NBCU’s TV Everywhere apps,” said a Roku spokesperson. “We look forward to offering these new options to consumers under an expanded, mutually beneficial relationship between our companies, including a meaningful partnership around NBC content and advertising in The Roku Channel.”

The decision comes after Comcast and Roku came into public argument over the status of dozens of NBCUniversal apps. Comcast threatened to pull apps as negotiations over peacocks continued; This included 11 network apps, 12 NBC-owned deployed apps, and 23 Telemundo apps. Both Comcast and Roku raised fingers at each other to get away from the conversation going on at the time, but just hours after the announcement, word came that a deal, which would involve the Peacock landing on Roku, was imminent. More is still not available on Amazon Fire TV device.

In linear television, this strategy leads to carriage controversy. These are times when some channels and programming are unavailable because cable providers and content providers cannot agree on a deal. They are called the “dark period”. In this specific example, Roku, a streaming aggregator that carries content for TV sets, is the cable provider. Commast is trying to pressure Roku by removing the contract, while Roku could argue that without its platform, millions of people would find other ways to view the content.

(Disclosure: Comcast, which owns NBCUnival, is also an investor in Vox Media, The ledgeParent company.)

For months, neither Roku nor Comcast could come to an agreement on aspects of the deal. A large part of this had to do with advertising lists. It refers to the percentage of advertisements that once served on their platform take the percentage of control of Roku. On Roku’s website, the company says that one channel controls 70 percent of its advertising list, with Roku controlling the remaining 30 percent. Despite the counteroffers that both parties brought to the table, neither Roku nor Comcast and NBCUniversal’s team considered them appropriate.

A NBCUniversal spokesman said, “Roku’s unreasonable demands have ultimately hurt both their consumers and their consumer device partners, to whom they have promised access to all the apps in the market” The ledge On 18 September.

Another concern cited in the report by CNBC How people look at peacocks. NBCUniversal in a CNBC report “Peacock can’t be hesitant to control third-party advertising technology” As stated in June, mainly because NBCUniversal has explicitly created a new form of advertising technology for Peacock. NBCUniversal-built technology helps to better track user data, sell hyper-targeted ads, and increase revenue.

A spokesperson for NBCUniversal said in a statement, “More than 15 million people have signed up for Peacock since the national launch in July and we are thrilled. Millions now use and enjoy Peacock with Peacock and other NBCUniversal apps Take it. ” .

Comcast is far from the only company Roku has publicly quarreled with in the past few months. AT&T and Roku are at a standstill on WarnerMedia’s HBO Max streaming service. There have been many changes as an alternative to HBO that RKO customers have plans to bring as many customers to HBO Max as AT&T, on the condition that the company is comfortable. HBO Max chief Tony Gonclaves told The ledge In June, just after the launch of HBO Max, that AT&T wants to put HBO Max on Roku – but wants it to behave appropriately.

“Disney Plus and Netflix and Hulu and these other apps are on those platforms,” ​​Gonclaves said. “There exists a definite business model. We just want that. I hope that, eventually, we will get there, and we will get there keeping in mind the consumer. But we did not get there on the first day.

With Mayur finally on Roku, the next question is when AT&T and Roku will find a deal that works for them and will pass on HBO Max to Roku customers.

Update Friday, September 18, 6:39 pm: The story has been updated to include a statement from NBCUniversal.