It was an almost flawless performance by Nadal, who needed just two hours and 41 minutes to demolish the world No.1 and achieve his 100th victory on the earth of Paris. It was the ninth career meeting between the two long-time rivals in a major final – and the 56th clash overall – but one more result.
“Today you showed why you are the ‘King of Clay’,” Djokovic told Nadal during the trophy presentation. “I have experienced it in my own skin. It was a very tough match for me today. Obviously, I am not so happy with the way I am playing. I definitely got courted by a better player today. ”
Nadal did not miss a set during the tournament, and he won the title in straight sets at Roland Garros for the fourth time. The 34-year-old Spaniard had just 14 unforced errors on the day compared to 52 for Djokovic.
The limited but lively crowd showed their adoration for “King of Clay” after the match, and the viewing from home was no different. Tennis giants, current players – including Federer and newly-crowned women’s champion Inga Swetek – and other athletes and celebrities from around the world praised Nadal after his stunning performance.
?Congratulations @Rafael Nadal! It is wonderful to share this experience with you. Have I given permission to say this?
– iga Iwiątek (@iga_swiatek) October 11, 2020
Con esta exhibition t televas tu 13ón #Roland Garros… y ye van 20 grand slam en el bolsillo para igualar a federer.
– Pau Gasol (@paugasol) October 11, 2020
100 matches and 13 titles @Roland Garros.
And their 20th Grand Slam win! pic.twitter.com/qM72xsT4mG
– Billie Jean King (@BillieJeanKing) October 11, 2020
Congratulations to the king of clay @Rafael Nadal. Winning 13 slams in Paris is exceptional, a fitting Grand Slam finale for a challenging year. You are an inspiration, Rafa, grace and great. There are 20 mausoleums here. 4
– Rod Laver (@rodlaver) October 11, 2020
Congratulations to Rafa. You are an example for everyone in our sport and the best we have seen. Most importantly, a great person. big respect. 4 @Rafael Nadal
– Simona Halep (@Simona_Halep) October 11, 2020
Se Rafa, Lo has a verse!
You thirteenth #Roland Garros y XX Grand Slam te Lleven a un terreno único. Solo Tu Kon celebrates the Camino. Hoy Hesses de Nuevo Félois à Milones de Epiciondos Quick Heimo Vivido Conigo Esta Nueva Vijoria.
– Pedro Sanchez (@ShanchekCastzen) October 11, 2020
Over 13 titles @Roland Garros Is crazy It was a matter of heavy circumstances, different balls can disturb @Rafael NadalNot so-one set does not drop! Well 4 were entitled to such grace champions! @atp / Https://t.co/qDBJS5krMr
– Tracy Austin (@thetracyaustin) October 11, 2020
I can’t believe what I’m seeing! This boy is unfit! truth! And hesitation is classy, polite and a testament to the game that we love so much! @Rafael Nadal You are an animal! # 20 # 13 @Roland Garros
– Renai Stubbs (@rennaestubbs) October 11, 2020
very nice @Rafael Nadal!
– Marin Cilic (@cilic_marin) October 11, 2020
– Kevin Anderson (@KAndersonATP) October 11, 2020
Felicidades @Rafael Nadal
– Vijoria Azarenka (@ vika7) October 11, 2020
– Shape Cornet (@alizecornet) October 11, 2020
– Jessie Pegula (@JLPegula) October 11, 2020
VAMOOOSSSSS @Rafael Nadal
– Carolyn Garcia (@ carologia) October 11, 2020
– Kirsten Flipkens (@FlipperKF) October 11, 2020
– Rosie (@ Rosie) October 11, 2020
Rafael Nadal AL AL AL pic.twitter.com/wYXZ3gpxJ6
– Willie Hernangomez (@ willyhg94) October 11, 2020
– Jelena Djokovic (@jelenadjokovic) October 11, 2020