Robredo: Probe botched vaccine program – tech2.org

Robredo: Probe botched vaccine program



[ad_1]

The P3.5 billion antidengue program placed great hopes on the Dengvaxia vaccine developed by the French pharmaceutical company Sanofi. -MARIANNE BERMUDEZ

Vice President Leni Robredo on Sunday asked the government to investigate the effects of a vaccine against dengue improperly administered on the health of hundreds of thousands of schoolchildren in the country and ensure that those who made a mistake in the program of immunization Responsible.

Malacañang vowed to "leave no stone unturned" in the investigation of the fiasco that placed more than 733,000 school children at risk of severe dengue infection.

Secretary of Justice Vitaliano Aguirre II said he would order the National Bureau of Investigation to examine the liability of government officials who approved the purchase of the Dengvaxia vaccine from the French pharmaceutical company Sanofi Pasteur.

The Department of Health (DOH) suspended the P3.500 million immunization program on Friday, two days later Sanofi Pasteur announced that Dengvaxia could worsen the effects of dengue in people who had not been previously affected by the disease. and.

"This must be studied seriously and those who should be held accountable must be held accountable," Robredo said on his weekly radio show.

What happens to children?

The "most important thing," she said, was to "get the answers" to questions about the effects of Dengvaxia on the health of schoolchildren who received the vaccine.

"Parents of children … need to know what to do, if there is really a bad effect, what can be done to save their children?" Robredo said.

According to the DOH, more than 733,000 public school children 9 years and older from Metro Manila, Central Luzon and Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) have received at least one dose of the vaccine.

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said in a statement that those responsible for the use of Dengvaxia in the anti-government campaign of the government would have to be held accountable.

"We are not going to leave stone in hand when holding responsible those responsible for this shameless public health scam, which puts hundreds of thousands of young people at risk," said Roque.

He asked the audience to remain calm.

"We understand the concern of our people, especially the parents and relatives of public primary children [school] residing in [Central Luzon, Calabarzon and Metropolitan Manila] where the previous dengue vaccination initiative was launched," he said. [19] 659003] "However, we call on all citizens not to disseminate information that may cause undue alarm," he added.

DOH-DepEd Monitoring

Roque noted that DOH had not monitored any case of severe dengue infection among children who received the vaccine last year.

He said that DOH was working with the Department of Education (DepEd) to monitor the health of the thousands of school children who had received Dengvaxia.

Aguirre said he had received a complaint from a father whose son became ill after receiving the vaccine.

"One [parent] complained to me that his son, who was inoculated [with] with the anti-dengue vaccine in April 2016, is now sick [with] baby TB (tuberculosis) and his immune system is now very weak", Aguirre said in a text message to journalists.

He said he would order the NBI to investigate.

"All those who participate will be included and the corresponding charges will be filed against them if warra nted," he said.

WHO guidelines followed

In a text message to the Inquirer, former Secretary of Health Janette Garin said that the immunization program was implemented in accordance with the guidelines of the World Health Organization (WHO).

Dengue The vaccination program was launched during Garin's tenure.

"The implementation was based on recommendations from local and global experts," said Garin.

He said that dengue affected 90 to 93 percent of the population in the recommended dose and specific areas "was [dealt with] as our government's obligation to respond."

On Friday, Secretary of Health Francisco Duque announced the suspension of the immunization program after Sanofi Pasteur said that Dengvaxia was safe and effective long-term only for people who had been infected before they were vaccinated.

"For those who had not previously been infected with the dengue virus, however, the badysis found that in the longer term, more cases of severe disease" happens after vaccination in a subsequent infection by dengue, "said The pharmaceutical company in a statement.

However, Duque quickly relieved the fears of parents who were concerned about their children who had been vaccinated, particularly those who were not infected.

He badured them that the DOH was aware of the situation.

"The vaccine has a protection period of 30 months against dengue, regardless [of whether] the child had a previous infection or not," he said.

Duque added that the DOH would monitor the health of all vaccine recipients.

Revision in progress

He said that a review of the program was being carried out, including consultation with experts and WHO.

The Expert Group In the Strategic Immunization of OMOM, we will be looking forward to badyzing the latest advances in the vaccine against the dengue

. Concerns about the effects of Dengvaxia on people without infection prior investigation convened by the good governance committee of the House of Representatives last year.

At a hearing on November 29, 2016, Antonio Dans of the College of Physicians of the Philippines expressed concern that the antibodies introduced by the vaccine could "improve" the dengue virus if a person is bitten by the mosquito after the immunization.

Dans told lawmakers that the immunization program should be suspended until the theory of antibody-dependent improvement is studied thoroughly.

But Sanofi Pasteur's regional dengue expert, Anh Wartel, played down the possibility, saying that "the concerns expressed in the fund are based on conjectures of 'what if'."

He said that the possibility of developing the scenario would not be great because of the high "seroprevalence" -the number of people infected in a given population was quite high in the regions where the vaccine was administered.

Undue Haste

In addition to the effects of the vaccine, the House's investigation also addressed the alleged undue haste in the acquisition of Dengvaxia's DOH shortly after the May 2016 elections.

The Administration of Food and Drugs approved the product registration certificate on December 22, 2015; One month later, on January 21, 2016, the Philippine Children's Medical Center made a purchase request.

The Executive Board of the Form issued a certification for Dengvaxia on February 3, 2016. Certification is a requirement for medical items not included in the Philippine National Drug Formulary.

The immunization program began on April 4, 2016, two months before the Aquino administration ended.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer and other 70+ titles, share up to 5 devices, listen to the news, download from 4am and share articles on social networks. Call 896 6000.

[ad_2]
Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.