Greek officials are struggling to convince the former residents of the camp to move to a new temporary site, and many continue to sleep on the island’s streets.
The latest protests in Lesbos, where police have shed tears at the refugees, said Greek Prime Minister Kyrikos Mitsotakis said he hoped to have a new reception center in place of Moria to reset policy to handle migrant arrivals There will be opportunity.
The fire at the crowded camp, sparked by a blast last week, has left more than 12,000 people from over 70 different countries, though many from Afghanistan – without shelter or proper sanitation.
After 35 residents tested positive for the Kojid-19, the Blazies ransacked several locations in the camp last week, prompting a lockdown by Greek authorities that in turn triggered a protest by residents during which the fire .
The disaster served to underscore chronic problems for residents and the broader EU policy surrounding the camp – which was originally built to house 3,000 people – many of whom now resettle in Europe Are demanding.
Although the European Union initially stated that 10 countries had agreed to take more than 400 illegal minors, it was criticized for doing so little and too late. Germany – which had originally pledged to take 150 child refugees – announced on Monday that it was negotiating to take in more families.
Reflecting the views of many of those sleeping, crowds of women and children staged protests again on Monday, with some holding Bain asking the European Union to protect them.
Mother of 25 years, Maryam said, “We have been here for more than a year. “There is no defense. no freedom. If they cannot support us, they should deport all of us together.
“We are asking the European Community to help. Why are they not listening to us? Where are human rights? We took refuge in the European Union but where are they? There is no toilet, no shower, nor water. Nothing. No safety or security. We die here every day. ”
While a temporary camp was established after the fire, both islanders and former residents oppose the Greek government’s plan for a new camp. Over the weekend some former residents were arrested for encouraging them not to enter the new camp.
Moria has long been a symbol of deep political divisions in Europe over migration to the Mediterranean, as it was initially depicted as a transit point for hundreds of thousands of people – many from Syria and Afghanistan – heading for Europe.
After closing Europe’s borders to refugees four years ago, Moriah has largely become a dead end, plagued by mental health issues and a widespread sense of desperation.
The Guardian also met Zahra, another member of the protesting women’s group. She cried out that she had produced a doctor’s note, stating that she is pregnant and depressed at the end of August, and is now requesting a move to a new residence in the burnt camp.
“This woman is depressed and committing suicide,” the doctor’s note said. A friend pats her arm and tries to reassure her.
Another woman said: “Is it the same in Athens? Is it the same on the mainland? ”
Marina Papatouki, an area clinic run by the charity Medecine Sense Frontières, said she was deeply concerned about some of the pregnant women who were treating her, but they had known since the fire Are unable to apply.
“Europe and the state need to understand that these women should not have been on the island in the first place. They need to be relocated to the mainland, ”she said.
Papatoukaki said that the pregnant women and infants they were treating at the clinic were not getting enough food and water. “Children are sleeping on the street where they cannot be washed, they are having skin rashes and other conditions. These are vulnerable people and Europe and the Greek government need to move them. ”
Germany’s intention to have more children in the camp was announced by Angela Merkel’s spokesperson in Berlin, Stefan Seibert, who said the move to take minors was a first step, but more efforts are needed.
“Now talks are going on in the federal government about how Germany can help, what other important contributions can we make in our country,” he said.
A second phase will focus on families with camp children, Seibert said. Seabart’s comments were developed following remarks by Minister Gerd Müller, who criticized the initial quota of 150 minors and called for 2,000 people to be transported to Germany.