David Talukdar | Nurphoto | Getty Images
The owner of player UNWoods Battleground has cut ties with Chinese tech giant Tencent in India, in an attempt to lift the ban on a mobile version of the game.
PUBG Corporation, a South Korean company that develops and publishes PUBG, said on Tuesday that it would overtake Tencent as the publisher of its PUBG mobile game in India.
Last week, the Indian government added PUBG Mobile and 117 other apps to a black list with links to China, including the likes of TikTok and WeChat due to alleged national security risks.
“In view of recent developments, PUBG Corporation has now decided not to authorize Pubg Mobile Franchise for Tencent Games in India, “PUBG Corporation said in a statement on Tuesday. Going forward, PUBG Corporation will take over all publishing responsibilities within the country.”
He added, “The company explores ways to provide its own PUBG experience for India in the near future. It is committed to doing so while maintaining an environment of local and healthy gameplay for its fans.”
20 Indian soldiers were killed in a spike between geopolitical tensions following a border confrontation in the Himalayas between India and China. Tensions have escalated again this week, with both India and China accusing each other soldiers of firing shots at the disputed border.
PUBG Mobile, a battle royale game similar to Fortnite, was wildly popular in India before the government’s decision to block it. According to app data tracker SensorTower, India was the app’s largest market, with more than 175 million installs. This means that it is about 24% of total downloads globally.