Protesters gather in Takoma, officers who rush into the crowd are placed on administrative leave

According to a TPD press release, the 58-year-old police officer was placed on administrative leave after running with at least one person and possibly assaulting others. He was with the department for almost 30 years.

The officer was not identified in the police statement.

Two people were taken to the hospital after the incident, according to the Pierce County Force Investigative Team, which is now leading the investigation. According to the investigative team’s statement, no one is in danger of life, and at least one person has been released.

On Sunday night some protesters blocked roads with signs and traffic cones where the incident took place. Others overturned trashcans and set the contents on fire, while smashing some windows of cars and buildings. Authorities are still working to assess the damage, Hedo said in an email to CNN.

According to Hadavo, South Sound 911 Records employees were forced to pull out of their building Sunday night after breaking windows.

No arrests were made during the protest, but two people were arrested, Hedawa said.

Protesters gathered in Tacoma, Washington on Sunday night.

Police reported that the mob surrounded

Along with other police units, officers were responding to a report of an incident at the intersection of South 9th and Pacific Avenue in Tacoma around 6:20 pm on Saturday.

Once at the scene, officers found several vehicles and about 100 people stopping at the intersection, which they began “cleaning up for the safety of the people gathered and those trying to use the road.” The release stated.

As the officers worked to clear the road, a mob formed around the officer’s vehicle and began a raid on the windows, Tacoma police spokesman Wendy Hadavo told The News Tribune.
An image from the video of the incident still shows people around the vehicle.

“He feared they would break his glass,” the News Tribune reported.

The release stated that lights and sirens were active to surround the vehicle. The officer inside the SUV tried to back up, but according to the release was not able to because of the rush.

“Frightened for his safety,” the release said, “the officer pushed forward striking one person and might affect others,” while trying to get out of an unsafe situation. Once officers were “at a point of safety”, he said the release for medical aid.

The News Tribune reported that one person suffered a leg injury in the collision and was taken to a local hospital.

Videos show officers through mob

At least one graphic video of the incident that was circulating on social media, with lights and sirens can be seen moving the police vehicle slowly closer to the gathering crowd in front of the vehicle.

An engine is heard roaming in the background and the vehicle accelerates backwards before moving into the crowd, causing many to fall to the ground.

Officials said Tacoma police officers drive through the crowd, injuring at least one person

The vehicle then slows down a bit, as it appears to bounce off of driving something before passing through the intersection. The rear tires of the vehicle can be seen rolling over a person lying on the road.

Another video shot at the scene shows a white car donuts in the middle of the intersection and the police vehicle is seen passing through the crowd as soon as officers arrive there.

In another video, the sound of an engine swirling out of a chain twice and twice ejecting a person is said, “Damn, they are hitting a police car.”

Moments later an engine is heard again and people disperse and shout, “Oh my God! Oh my God!” Repeatedly. A few seconds later a small crowd appears that appears to have someone lying on the ground.

The mayor wants those involved to be accountable

Tacoma Mayor Victoria Woodards said in a statement that she was “deeply concerned” by the incident.

“As to the use of deadly force, the incident is being taken very seriously and the scene has been appropriately handed over to the Pierce County force investigation team for independent investigation,” the mayor said.

“While we await more information, I want the community to know that I am deeply concerned and praying, which was influenced by the events of the previous night,” Woodards said. “I take pride in Tacoma’s long-standing reputation as a place of strong, non-violent advocacy and activism.”

The mayor has called on the city manager and the police chief to involve everyone accountable in the incident.

Tacoma City Manager Elizabeth Pauley reported on Sunday to CNN-linked associate King that the videos she saw of the incident were “horrifying”.

“I was horrified, it’s very difficult to watch those videos,” said Pauli. “I feel anxious for the person who was eliminated. I worry about the incident, which is a concern for our officers. I am involved in this.”

Interim Police Chief Mike AK said in a press release “I am concerned that our department is experiencing another use of the deadly force incident.”

“I send my thoughts to anyone injured in tonight’s incident and am committed to the full cooperation of our department in independent investigations and to assessing the actions of the department’s response during the incident,” he said.

The Community Police Advisory Board will hold a special meeting at 6 pm PST on Monday night to discuss the incident, A. The tweet from TPD said.

CNN’s Karma Hassan, Claudia Dominguez and Artemis Moshtaghian contributed to this report.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.