The Louisiana government admitted this week that thousands of out-of-work residents received notice due to a technical problem that they had to pay more in unemployment benefits and return money to Baton Rouge.
The Louisiana Workforce Commission (LWC) said in a statement on Thursday that about 7,600 unemployment insurance overpayment notices were produced earlier this month and that it is working with its vendor to fix the issue.
LWC is working to send an “adjustment of information” to the affected people to inform them that they do not pay any money from the state government.
“We apologize for any confusion,” LWC said, adding it “will continue to work to resolve any other outstanding issues.”
LWC told The Associated Press that notices were sent to more than 4,300 people. It has set up an email account dedicated entirely to people dealing with the problem to ask questions to the government.
LWC did not immediately respond to a request for further comment from The Hill.
Video: Top HHS officer takes leave of absence after online rant (ABC News)
Click to enlarge