Processed bone treats can be deadly for dogs, FDA warns


The Food and Drug Administration warns pet owners that dogs should not receive processed "candies" after receiving 68 reports of illnesses and pet deaths.

No specific brands were named and no images of the specific goodies were found, but a variety of goodies available in the market that are described as "Ham bones", "Hog femur bones", "Rib bones" and "Smokey knuckle bones". "were listed by the agency.

Products are different from uncooked butcher's bones, processed – smoked or baked – and may contain preservatives, flavorings and smoke flavorings.

" Give your dog a bone gift could lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery or even the death of your pet, "said Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian at the Center for Veterinary Medicine of the FDA.

The diseases were reported to the FDA by veterinarians and dog owners who had eaten bone treats Symptoms include: blockage in the digestive tract, asphyxiation, cuts or sores in the mouth, vomiting and diarrhea.

The cases involved approximately 90 dogs some reports included more than one pet per owner.Approximately 15 dogs died after eating a bone treatment.

Related: Skin cancer cream, eg murdered, says the FDA

The FDA also received seven reports of problems such as mold-like bones or bone seizures when chewed by the pet.

The FDA has previously warned owners about feeding their dogs real bones, including chicken bones or large bones from a ham or roast beef.

If a dog has consumed some type of treatment and "just is not acting correctly," contact a veterinarian immediately, Stamper said.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.