Prince Philip ‘responds to treatment’ but remains in London hospital with infection


LONDON – Prince Philip, the husband of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II, is responding to treatment for an infection but will remain in a London hospital for the next few days, Buckingham Palace said in a statement on Tuesday.

“He is comfortable and responds to treatment, but is not expected to be released from the hospital for several days,” the palace said without mentioning the type or severity of the infection.

The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to a London hospital on February 16 as a “precautionary measure” on the advice of his doctor “after feeling unwell”, with an ailment that was not related to Covid-19, he previously said. Palace.

Felipe, 99, and the queen received the Covid-19 vaccine in January.

The royal couple have been staying at Windsor Castle, about 30 miles west of London, during the coronavirus pandemic that has hit the UK, which has the highest death toll in Europe.

Felipe married the then Princess Isabel in 1947 and together they have four children: the heir to the throne, Prince Carlos, born in 1948; Princess Anne, born in 1950; Prince Andrew, born in 1960; and Prince Edward, born in 1964, along with dozens of grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Philip, a former naval officer and avid polo player, enjoyed solid health well into old age, but has had a number of health problems in recent years. She retired from public service in 2017 and is the longest-serving royal consort in British history.

He was last hospitalized in December 2019, when he spent four nights in the hospital for what the palace said was a planned treatment for a pre-existing condition, although it did not disclose what that condition was.

Download the NBC News app for the latest news and politics

Charles visited him briefly in the hospital on Saturday, while his grandson, Prince William, told reporters on Monday during a visit to a vaccination center that his grandfather was “fine, they are watching him.”

Philip’s illness comes at a difficult time for the monarchy after it was announced last week that William’s younger brother, Prince Harry, and his American wife, Meghan, would cut all their official royal duties.

The couple moved with their son, Archie, to California last year, to live a more independent life and escape the British media. Next month they will give a “broad” interview to American chat show host Oprah Winfrey.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Yuliya talmazan contributed.



Source link