Prince Philip of the United Kingdom spends the seventh night in the hospital


LONDON (Reuters) – Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth, spent a seventh night in hospital after being admitted as a precautionary measure.

Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, entered London’s King Edward VII private hospital on Tuesday night after his doctor advised him to be admitted after feeling unwell.

Buckingham Palace has said he was expected to stay in hospital for a few days for observation and that his 94-year-old wife has stayed at Windsor Castle, their home west of London, where the couple stayed during the lockdown of the COVID-19. .

Both royals have received their first dose of the coronavirus vaccine and Duke’s disease is not related to COVID. A royal source has said that he was expected to remain in the hospital until this week and that Philip was in a good mood.

Prince William, the son of Prince Charles’s heir, said Monday that his grandfather was “fine, they are watching him.”

Philip’s illness comes at a difficult time for the queen and the monarchy after it was announced last week that William’s younger brother Prince Harry and his American wife Meghan would sever all official royal ties.

Harry, 36, and Meghan, 39, left their duties in March of last year, and that separation was formalized on Friday, and the couple lost their precious royal patronages.

They have moved with their son Archie to Southern California to live a more independent life and escape the British media, and next month they will give an “extended” interview to the host of an American chat show Oprah Winfrey.

The hospitalization of Felipe, who has been the queen’s confidant during her 69-year reign and the patriarch of the family, deprives the monarch of his advice.

However, the prince has taken a back seat since he retired from public life in 2017, and many of his official roles were taken over by other members of the family.

(Reporting by Michael Holden, Ed Osmond editing)

Source link