“The Duke of Edinburgh remains at King Edward VII Hospital, where he receives medical attention for an infection. He is comfortable and responds to treatment, but is not expected to leave the hospital for several days,” the palace said in a statement.
Prince Philip was taken to hospital last Tuesday after “feeling bad,” Buckingham Palace said.
On Monday, his grandson, Prince William, said the 99-year-old was “fine” and that hospital staff were “keeping an eye on him.”
Prince William made the remarks during a visit to a vaccination center in Norfolk, England, on Monday.
Prince Philip, who will turn 100 in June, walked away from public life in 2017 and has been taken to hospital multiple times in recent years. In December 2019, he received hospital treatment for a pre-existing condition.
His last admission was not an emergency, according to a royal source, who said he traveled to King Edward VII Hospital by car and entered without assistance. The source added that the disease was not related to Covid-19.
Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth have received at least one dose of the Covid-19 vaccine.
The couple spent most of last year at Windsor Castle, having moved out of Buckingham Palace during the first wave of the Covid-19 pandemic in the spring of 2020.