Britain’s Prince Philip, 99-year-old husband of, underwent a procedure for a pre-existing heart condition on Wednesday. He will do it as he recovers, Buckingham Palace said in a statement Thursday.
“His Royal Highness will remain in the hospital for treatment, rest and recovery for several days,” the palace said. The surgery took place at St Bartholomew Hospital.
the, the wife of Philip’s son, Prince Charles, said the Duke of Edinburgh was “improving slightly.”
“We will keep our fingers crossed,” Camilla told the British Press Association news agency.
Felipe was first admitted to London’s King Edward VII Hospital in mid-February, before being transferred to St. Bartholomew earlier this week. The king, who celebrates his 100th birthday in June, has spent 16 days in the hospital, marking his longest stay.
Last week, her youngest son, Prince Edward, said his father was “much better.” Prince William also previously said that his grandfather was “fine” and that the hospital “is keeping an eye on him.”
Prince Philip has received treatment for heart problems in the past. In 2011, he was taken to a hospital by helicopter after experiencing chest pains in Sandringham. At that time, he was treated by a, undergoing a minimally invasive coronary stenting procedure.
The royal family has clashedin recent weeks, ahead of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle with Oprah Winfrey, broadcast Sunday on CBS. in a Markle said she cannot be expected to keep quiet if the palace is “perpetuating falsehoods” against her.
Last month, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced that they will not return as working members of the royal family, formally abandoning their royal duties.