Due to math and bad luck, the lottery players shot another in a giant jackpot on Wednesday night as the $ 731 million Powerball prize was on the line.
According to lottery officials, the winning ticket was sold in Maryland and is the fourth largest jackpot in Powerball history. The single ticket sold matched all six numbers on Wednesday night.
Wednesday’s winning numbers are: 53, 60,40,68,69, Powerball = 22
The jackpot climbed to an estimated $ 731.1 million at the time of the drawing, with a cash option of $ 546.8 million.
The 12 tickets matched all five white balls but matched the red powerball to win a $ 1 million prize in Wednesday’s drawing. The $ 1 million winning tickets were sold in California (2, sold in Woodland Hills and Redlands), Georgia (2), Illinois (2), Maine, Michigan, New Jersey (3) and Oregon. Another ticket sold in Maryland matched all five white balls and doubled the prize to $ 2 million, as the ticket included a power play option for an additional $ 1.
The day after the announcement did not win any major Mega Millions awards, which is now $ 970 million.
It was the first time that both lottery jackpots topped $ 700 million. The biggest prize was a $ 1.58 billion Powerball jackpot won by three people in 2016.
No one had won the jackpot since mid-September, allowing the award to rise steadily for months. Such a long stretch without a winner is rare, but also represents incredibly small odds of winning – one of 292.2 million for Powerball and 302.5 million for Mega Millions.
Maryland’s lottery spokesman Carole Gentry said Tuesday night’s mega-million drawing drew $ 260 million in sales, resulting in a 36% potential number covering the combination.
The listed awards are for the winners, who choose an annuity option, which is paid over 30 years. Most winners opt for cash prizes, which will be $ 716.3 million for Mega Millions and $ 546 million for Powerball.
Those awards would also be subject to federal taxes, and most states would also cut it.
Both Mega Millions and Powerball are played in 45 states as well as Washington, DC and the US Virgin Islands. Powerball is also offered in Puerto Rico.
A look at the 10 biggest jackpots in the US and the states where winning tickets were sold:
1. $ 1.586 billion, Powerball, 13 January 2016 (three tickets from California, Florida, Tennessee)
2. $ 1.537 billion, Mega Millions, October 23, 2018 (One ticket, South Carolina)
3. $ 768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket, Wisconsin)
4. $ 758.7 million, Powerball, August 23, 2017 (one ticket from Massachusetts),
5. $ 687.8 million, Powerball, October 27, 2018 (two tickets from Iowa and New York)
6. $ 656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
7. $ 648 million, Mega Millions, December 17, 2013 (two tickets from California and Georgia)
8. $ 590.5 million, Powerball, May 18, 2013 (a ticket from Florida)
9. $ 587.5 million, Powerball, November 28, 2012 (two tickets from Arizona and Missouri)
10. $ 564.1 million, Powerball, February 11, 2015 (three tickets from North Carolina, Puerto Rico and Texas)
ABC OTV contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2021 by Associated Press. All rights reserved.