Police protests over Seattle protests, arrests | news

The United States city of Seattle has declared a riot after large demonstrations in its Capitol Hill neighborhood, and police flash to try to clean up the “occupied protest area” spread for several blocks in a week Bangs and pepper spray posted.

Through Twitter, police said they had made at least 11 arrests and were investigating “possible explosive damage” on the walls of the city’s East Preschool Police Station on Saturday.

Officials said rocks, bottles and mortar were thrown at the officers as they attempted to evacuate the area. An officer was hospitalized with a leg injury caused by an explosive.

Earlier, protesters in Seattle broke through a fence where a youth detention facility was being built, with some setting a fire and damaging a portable trailer, officials said.

Tens of thousands of protesters began peacefully near downtown Seattle on Saturday in solidarity with fellow protesters in Portland, Oregon, where tensions with federal law enforcement escalated during protests stemming from the May 25 murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis Was.

‘Abuse of federal law’: remove troops, mayor of Portland told Trump

Initially, the Seattle March had no signs of law enforcement.

Later, Seattle police said via Twitter that about a dozen people ransacked the construction site for the King County Youth Detention Facility. At the same time, police said protesters smashed windows featuring King County court facilities.

Controversy over the use of tear gas

Earlier this week, King County Executive Dow Constantine said in response to a long-standing demand by community activists that he would work to eliminate youth detention centers in the county by 2025.

After the fire broke out on the construction site, officials said they had ordered people to leave a separate area, in a part of Capitol Hill, near the town where the East Precant is.

Earlier this month, police cleared the “Capitol Hill Occupied Protest” zone after two fatal shootings.

A group had occupied several blocks around a park for about two weeks and were part of a nationwide unrest over the murder of Floyd, a black man killed in police custody.

Prior to Saturday’s protests, Seattle Police Department (SPD) chief Carmen Best had announced that officers would be armed with pepper spray and other weapons, promising officials would not use tear gas and urged protesters to remain peaceful.

Why are US federal soldiers facing anti-racist protesters? | Inside talk

“In the spirit of offering trust and complete transparency, I would like to advise you that SPD officers today carry pepper spray and blast balls, which will be specific to incidents that have the potential to contain violence,” Best said said.

At an emergency hearing on Friday night, US District Judge James Robert requested the federal government to stop police from using pepper spray, blast balls, and similar weapons in Seattle’s new law.

The temporary restraining order puts its grip on legislation that was unanimously passed by the Seattle City Council following a confrontation last month that was largely peaceful, but sometimes marked violence, looting and highway closures Was.

The law, intended to ease tensions between police and protesters, was scheduled to go into effect on Sunday.

But the US Department of Justice, citing Seattle’s longtime police consent decision, successfully argued that banning the use of crowd control weapons could actually lead to greater police use of force, only to find them more deadly weapons. Can be left with.

Meanwhile, a group of heavily-armed black protesters marched through Louisville, Kentucky on Saturday, to police justice, to find a black female policeman, Bryo Taylor, killed in March.

Millions of protesters, dressed in semi-automatic rifles and shotguns and black paramilitary gear, walked into the building of a closed intersection, where they were separated by police from a small group of armed defendants.

Black militia dubbed NFF seeks justice for Taylor, a 26-year-old emergency medical technician who died in a hail of bullets when drug investigators borne a “no-knock” warrant, entering her Louisville home four months ago .